Re: defaulting

Jeni Tennison writes:

> Richard & Henry wrote:
>> Further to discussion during yesterday's telcon, herewith a proposal
>> about input and output defaulting for pipelines.
>
> I like this. Just one thing:
>
>>   The default input of a step is bound to the default readable port if
>>   it is not otherwise bound;
>>   Non-default inputs are only bound to the default readable port if
>>   you call for that to happen by writing
>
> The other option would be to say that all inputs are bound to the
> default readable port if they're not explicitly bound, such that

> accepts an XSLT stylesheet input and runs it on itself (this is
> actually something I do quite a lot).
>
> It would make the defaulting story slightly easier to specify, since
> an omitted input would *always* be equivalent to an empty <p:input>
> element for that port.
>
> Is there any reason not to do that?

Yes.  Consider

I want that to validate based on what it finds in the document, not
try to use it as a schema to validate itself.

I don't think I'm just being selfish in saying that I suspect that's
likely to be a more common case than yours. . .

> Also, I'm assuming that the default readable port after a given step
> would be the default output of the previous step (in document order)?

Yes, that's already true.

ht
- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team