Re: defaulting

Richard & Henry wrote:
> Further to discussion during yesterday's telcon, herewith a proposal
> about input and output defaulting for pipelines.

I like this. Just one thing:

>   The default input of a step is bound to the default readable port if
>   it is not otherwise bound;
>
>   Non-default inputs are only bound to the default readable port if
>   you call for that to happen by writing

The other option would be to say that all inputs are bound to the
default readable port if they're not explicitly bound, such that

accepts an XSLT stylesheet input and runs it on itself (this is actually
something I do quite a lot).

It would make the defaulting story slightly easier to specify, since an
omitted input would *always* be equivalent to an empty <p:input> element
for that port.

Is there any reason not to do that?

Also, I'm assuming that the default readable port after a given step
would be the default output of the previous step (in document order)?

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison
http://www.jenitennison.com