Re: New system property: p:platform?

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:00:18 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org
/ Rui Lopes <rlopes@di.fc.ul.pt> was heard to say:
| Maybe it's something i'm not entirely understanding, but if the exact content
| (format?) should be implementation defined, it couldn't be used in a
| cross-platform way. If so, why bind the property to xproc's namespace?

I think the idea is that you might write things like this:

              and p:system-property('p:platform') = 'Java'">
  ... use some step you know is defined on the Java platform ...
              and p:system-property('p:platform') = '.NET'">
  ... use some step you know is defined on the M$ platform ...

I'm sort of ambivalent, but it seems like it might be useful.

Note to WG: I did add a few more properties on the basis of other
comments by Vasil.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Everything should be made as simple as
http://nwalsh.com/            | possible, but no simpler.