Re: New system property: p:platform?

From: Rui Lopes <rlopes@di.fc.ul.pt>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:27:10 +0100
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

> I think the idea is that you might write things like this:

>               and p:system-property('p:platform') = 'Java'">
>   ... use some step you know is defined on the Java platform ...
>               and p:system-property('p:platform') = '.NET'">
>   ... use some step you know is defined on the M$ platform ...

If checking the platform is just that, I'm ok with it. My concern was
the comment "It could also show OS, available RAM and CPU and other
cheesy stuff." It looks too much like parsing HTTP's User Agent strings.

If we have a property that can convey more than one information item
*and* the exact way this information has to be provided isn't specified
by XProc, we'll get close to the UA string syndrome.

Furthermore, even if XProc defines the exact string format for
p:platform, I think we don't want to parse p:platform strings in order
to detect some feature/information. Therefore, the solution would be
something like having different system properties for each feature
(p:platform, p:cpu, p:os, p:ram, ...), which I think, IMHO, is out of
scope for XProc.

Rui