Re: Identity Component

From: Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:21:05 -0800
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

> We decided not to have implicit processing of sequences. I think the
> identity component should take a single document, not a sequence.

I agree with not having implicit iteration.  In this case I don't see this
as iteration as it is copying the input to the output.

We have said that a component that produces a sequence would be
allowed to be hooked up to a component that takes a single document
as long as the sequence was a singleton.  I think the reverse needs to
be true in that a single document should be able to be treated as a
singleton.

If we don't allow identity to process sequences, then an author has
to do different things to setup and identity step or placeholder depending
on where they are in their pipeline.  I think that will make things
difficult for the pipeline author to understand.