Re: Validate Component

From: Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 16:26:02 -0800
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org

> / Alex Milowski <alex@milowski.org> was heard to say:
> | Name: [p:]validate

> | The validate component runs some form of schema validation assessment on
> | a document.  It operates in one of two modes:  assertion or
> annotation.  In
> | the
>
> Do we really want to go this route, or do we want to define three separate
> components for XSD, Relax NG, Schematron validation?

My thought here was that validation is a universal concept for XML regarless
of the schema language choosen.  If you can categorize your language as
fitting into our component's signature (e.g. document on one port, schema
stuff on the other), then the same validation step can be used by just
changing the schema language URI parameter.  This also supports having
pipelines where the schema language selected based on the input
document.

I could see having different components but I thought I'd try out a
universal one and see how people like it.