Re: Microcomponents, match and select

From: Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:45:49 -0700
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

On 4/26/07, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> I realised, courtesy of a brief conversation with Richard just now,
> what's really bothering me:  microcomponents are intended, as their
> name suggests, to be lightweight both technically and conceptually.  I
> want to be able to explain each of them in under a minute.  Match
> patterns are simpler to write, read and understand, and I value that
> simplicity and I think our users will also.

I find exactly the opposite to be true for me: I find XPath
expressions simpler to write, read, and understand.

If it is a simple expression, I prefer to write
select="/company/department" than match="department": it is more
explicit, it says precisely what it does, and won't match by mistake
other 'department' elements in the document if there are any.

If it is a more complex expression, I will be more comfortable using
XPath than match patterns just because I am more familiar with XPath
expressions. And the some of the questions that come up during our
calls ("can this be done with a match pattern?") tend to show that I
am not the only one. I would even think that there are quite a few
developers who know how to write an XPath expression but don't know
about match patterns.

Alex
--
Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms for the Enterprise
http://www.orbeon.com/