Microcomponents, match and select

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:14:28 +0100
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

I realised, courtesy of a brief conversation with Richard just now,
what's really bothering me:  microcomponents are intended, as their
name suggests, to be lightweight both technically and conceptually.  I
want to be able to explain each of them in under a minute.  Match
patterns are simpler to write, read and understand, and I value that
simplicity and I think our users will also.

In other words, I think this is an 80-20 argument -- only a small
number of tricky cases will require 'select' semantics -- if you need
that additional power for a tricky case, write an XSLT step.

- --
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk
Version: GnuPG v1.2.6 (GNU/Linux)