Re: Steps with non-connected outputs

From: Alessandro Vernet <avernet@orbeon.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:30:13 -0700
To: public-xml-processing-model-wg <public-xml-processing-model-wg@w3.org>

> From Section 2 Pipeline Concepts:
>
>   ... A pipeline must behave as if it evaluated each step
>   each time it occurs. ...
>
> You cannot skip a step just because the output goes into the bit
> bucket.

Section 2 goes a long way towards answering this question. However,
there is still room there for interpretation of the word "evaluate".
What if by "evaluate" I understand "all the steps mentioned by Alex
earlier in this thread except step 5", and that my implementation only
performs step 5 for step A when another step B reads an output of step
A?

We can try to define precisely what "evaluate" means, like Alex did.
Alternatively, I think that we can clarify this by just saying that a
pipeline that has step with non-connected outputs must behave as if
those steps were connected to a "/dev/null" step which sends the data
to the bit bucket.

Alex
--
Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms for the Enterprise
http://www.orbeon.com/