Re: foreign namespaces

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 10:16:21 -0400
To: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org
"James Fuller" <james.fuller.2007@gmail.com> writes:

> Atom allows foreign namespaces everywhere ... I don't understand why
> xproc could not do the same thing ... I also note that this would
> remove p:pipeinfo, its good to reduce and remove from a spec.

Atom is a container format, not a processing language. There's no harm
in an element you don't understand or recognize in an atom feed.

Consider

  <px:foo/>

We could adopt a rule that says if px:foo doesn't have a declaration,
then it's ignored but that would prevent us from catching simple
errors (like typos or pipelines that fail to import a relevant
library). What's more, the pipeline might run perfectly fine but give
entirely incorrect results.

So I think we need a mechanism that allows the author to say "this is
data that I want in the pipeline, not a step". We could (and did try)
to do this with an "ignored-prefixes" attribute, much like
extension-prefixes in XSLT, but it was complicated and unweildy.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | We cannot put off living until we are
http://nwalsh.com/            | ready. The most salient characteristic