Re: p:load?

Hi Vasil,

Vasil Rangelov wrote:
> OK. Point taken for p:load. But then what's the use of p:identity? The only
> use case I imagined was loading of documents within the pipeline without
> actually doing anything to them at that point, but that seems to be
> perfectly doable with p:load. What other use case is there in which
> p:identity is needed?

Got me. I never saw the use of <p:identity>, except for completeness,
but it's an easy step to specify and implement, and other people say
they want it, so I'm not going to object.

>> Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't say that I had a pressing need for
>> validate-on-parse or resolve-externals in other locations, given their
>> presence on <p:load>.
>
> Resolve-externals (or any equivalent to it) is not available anywhere. It
> should probably be at least added to p:load.

OK, sorry: I missed that this was something you wanted that wasn't
available already. So you'd like an instruction not to resolve any
external references (eg to external DTDs or external entities)? It would
only be relevant if you weren't validating (since validating parsers are
required to read the entire DTD).

Having struggled with processing documents when not internet connected,
I can certainly see the point of that :)

>> I can see the utility of p:validate-dtd to validate intermediate
>> documents, but every language I can think of that is primarily a
>> DTD-driven language has a RELAX NG equivalent. And if it doesn't
>> already, it's easy enough to create one.
>
> XProc doesn't seem to provide an easy way of creating RNG or XSDL files from
> DTD. And the pipeline author may not be the language's author (i.e. the
> creator of the DTD), so such sort of utility may be useful in those cases.

Sorry, I meant that I'd use Trang to create a RNG schema, and tidy it up
manually, then author my pipeline to use the RNG schema rather than the
DTD. I didn't mean that I'd use XProc to create a RNG schema.

Have you got a specific example DTD that you're thinking about? All the
markup languages that came to my mind (Docbook, XHTML, NLM Journal etc.)
have RNG equivalents. Specific use cases tend to be more persuasive than
general wish lists.

As I said, I'm not against adding it, but neither do I feel strongly
that we should.

Cheers,

Jeni
--