Re: decomposing viewport

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 13:49:57 -0400
To: James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@gmail.com>
Cc: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org
/ James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@gmail.com> was heard to say:
| as a thought experiment, I think its valid to say that p:viewport
| could be decomposed into two separate steps;
|
| p:xpath
|
|    and
|
| p:xupdate
|
| was there any discussion about xupdate as an update type mechanism ?

The XQuery Update Facility isn't a recommendation yet, and even if it
was, I wouldn't even consider placing that much burden on
implementors. I'm not surprised that p:viewport can be expressed as an
XQuery Update task, but surely it's a small subset of that technology.

| as an aside,  I do see the name being a bit awkward...I would propose renaming
|
| p:viewport

| p:view-port
|
| seems a bit clearer

That doesn't make it any clearer to me.