decomposing viewport

From: James Fuller <james.fuller.2007@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 00:17:58 +0200
To: public-xml-processing-model-comments@w3.org

as a thought experiment, I think its valid to say that p:viewport
could be decomposed into two separate steps;

p:xpath

    and

p:xupdate

was there any discussion about xupdate as an update type mechanism ?

I use xupdate quite a bit in eXist and have found it to be ok for most
of the tasks required....or at worts I have to revert to using
something like proprietary XQuery update extensions. I ask because I
am curious about the arguements or discussion around xupdate.

as an aside,  I do see the name being a bit awkward...I would propose renaming

p:viewport

p:view-port

seems a bit clearer

cheers, Jim Fuller