Re: Two Specs and Test Suite

From: Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 22:04:11 -0500
To: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Cc: W3C XML-ER Community Group <public-xml-er@w3.org>
On Mon, 2012-02-27 at 20:09 +0000, Jeni Tennison wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It sounds to me as though there are some people here who would very
> much favour a procedural-style specification which spells out exactly
> how to implement an XML-ER parser to create a DOM, and others who
> would very much favour a declarative-style specification which
> describes the outcome of error recovery in a more generic way.

Part of it seems to be whether the intended use is in a Web browser for
display (avoiding the "yellow screen of death"), primarily (it seems) of
faulty XHTML and RSS feeds... or whether it's intended as a front end to
a more general XML stack, e.g. for an editor.

Anne's approach seems a good fit for the Web browser use case, which is
not surprising :-)

As soon as web browsers start accepting non-wf input as XML, people will
start creating it... and then we'll need to process it elsewhere.

So a long-winded (sorry) +1 to Jeni's idea.

Liam