Two Specs and Test Suite

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:09:58 +0000
To: W3C XML-ER Community Group <public-xml-er@w3.org>
Hi,

It sounds to me as though there are some people here who would very much favour a procedural-style specification which spells out exactly how to implement an XML-ER parser to create a DOM, and others who would very much favour a declarative-style specification which describes the outcome of error recovery in a more generic way.

I suspect that both will prove very useful in and of themselves and would be able to complement each other well: a declarative-style specification could provide an explanation about the purpose of particular algorithms within the procedural-style specification, while a procedural-style specification would help clarify technical points that might otherwise be glossed over in a declarative-style specification.

Therefore, I propose that we do both. Further, I'm happy to edit the declarative-style specification unless there's someone else who wants to do it. Are there any objections to that as a way forward?

We will also need a test suite, and it sounds as if one that is based on the XML result of an ER parse would be easiest to manage and most generally useful. Does anyone have any suggestions about how best to manage and maintain one?

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison
http://www.jenitennison.com