Re: Intent of ER-XML

On 27/02/2012 02:11, Liam R E Quin wrote:
 > On Sun, 2012-02-26 at 22:49 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote: [...]
 >> I quite strongly believe that if we want this to work it has to be
 >> a processor along the lines David Carlisle outlines in
 >> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-er/2012Feb/0111.html
 >> so that it can replace an existing XML processor.
 >
 > How about a wiki page with some use cases?
 >
 > Would this replacement occur in the navigation system of an
 > aircraft, for example? In a car engine computer? in a Web browser?
 > Where exactly?

My own answer would be any of those. (I'd rather my car engine computer
didn't come to a hard stop on the motorway just because someone
mis-entered something:-)

Specifically I think it could potentiality be used anywhere were the
consumer of the document has no write access to fix the document. I
wouldn't personally use it on "my" xml as when processing that I want
errors reported so they can be fixed, just as I wouldn't want a C
compiler to fix up syntax errors.

 > Is it for existing content or is it to define a new kind of content
 > to be made in the future?

mostly existing (or future content made by existing, dubious, methods)
in particular the vast amount of "xhtml" out there that isn't xml.
Actually if it's only used for xhtml that would still be a win.
It was rather regrettable that the w3c promoted the idea that xhtml
should be served as text/html (and thus not processed by an xml parser)
as that had the inevitable consequence that a lot (possibly most) of it
is not well formed in practice. But what's done is done, and allowing
those documents to be processed in some standard specified manner would
be a good thing, I think.

 > How can we invent the wheel if we don't know what colour it should
 > be? :-)

you can have any colour you like so long as it's black (and spelt color:-)

 > I already think I know Anne's answers to some of these questions,
 > especially after Prague, but I think it'd help if they were made
 > explicit.

true (and this isn't a wiki and I'm not Anne, but some possible answers
nevertheless...)

 > Liam

David