Re: Draft - Fixup or Full XML Parser

On 22/02/2012 13:25, Jirka Kosek wrote:

> I think that we first should focus on handling content without
> looking inside internal/external subset. If this is done and working
> in a timely fashion we can then decide based on feedback whether it
> is really necessary to support all such advanced XML features. But
> trying to entity definitions in from the start will have only one
> result -- XML-ER will not be finished in a reasonable timeframe.
>
> Jirka

Agreed.

As I commented on Anne's draft, a large part of it is taken up with DTD
processing. I wouldn't object to an XML-ER that _always_ ignored (i.e.
parsed to the minimum extent necessary to step past the declarations)
any supplied doctype and always assumed the w3c entities.

I make a lot of use of DTD entities here (grep tells me I have 33603
entity definitions in our main documentation dtd collection)
but I'm not going to change this processing pipeline away from XML any
time soon, and I expect other people are in a similar position.
On the other hand if I'm browsing the web and hit an XML file I'd rather
the browser just did the best it could rather than showing a yellow
screen of death, so I think we should optimise for that use case, not
for mine.

David