Re: Draft - Fixup or Full XML Parser

From: Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 14:25:50 +0100
To: liam@w3.org
CC: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>, W3C XML-ER Community Group <public-xml-er@w3.org>
On 22.2.2012 2:20, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> There's content out there that assumes entity definitions work.

I think that we should keep in mind what are the main motivations behind
XML-ER. Motivation is not provide SGMLish syntax to those of us who
known how to use entities in XML. Motivation is to provide consistent
processing of malformed content present on the current web like XHTML
pages, broken Atom/RSS feeds, ...

> This wouldn't help people who do
> <!ENTITY egrave SYSTEM "egrave.xml">
> and expect &egrave; to include a file, since &egrave; won't trigger
> fetching the DTD.

I think that we first should focus on handling content without looking
inside internal/external subset. If this is done and working in a timely
fashion we can then decide based on feedback whether it is really
necessary to support all such advanced XML features. But trying to
entity definitions in from the start will have only one result -- XML-ER
will not be finished in a reasonable timeframe.

			Jirka