Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2012 April 18

From: Paul Grosso <paul@paulgrosso.name>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 08:47:30 -0500
To: core <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>
We have an XML Core WG phone call scheduled for Wednesday,
April 18, from
          08:30-09:00 Pacific time aka
          11:30-12:00 Eastern time aka
          15:30-16:00 UTC
          16:30-17:00 in Ireland and the UK
          17:30-18:00 in middle (most of) Europe
on the Zakim W3C Bridge, +1 617 761 6200, passcode 9652#.
We also use IRC channel #xmlcore on irc.w3.org:6665 .

See the XML Core group page [1] for pointers to current documents
and other information.  If you have additions to the agenda, please
email them to the WG list before the start of the telcon.

Please also review our group page's task list [2] for accuracy and
completeness and be prepared to amend if necessary and accept it
at the beginning of the call.

Regrets from Paul; Norm will chair.

1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
   the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
   or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.

There will be a TPAC meeting in Lyon, France in October/November:

We should consider whether we want to have a WG f2f there.

Likely to attend:  Norm, Liam, Henry
Not likely to attend:  Glenn, Paul, John
Unknown:  Daniel, Jirka, Mohamed

Request for xml:href et al.
Someone (apparently from the National Research Council
of Canada) sent a message to xml-editor archived at
requesting that we add xml:href, xml:rel, and xml:type

I assume the appropriate answer is to point him to
the XLink spec and suggest he use xlink:href, etc.,
but I figured its worth asking the WG to discuss this
and ask for a volunteer to draft a response.

xml-stylesheet and HTML5
Henry took an action to file a bug about xml-stylesheet
handling.  Done:

Henry has done a lot more testing and filing of results to date.

ACTION to Henry: File a bug against the HTML5 spec saying that
it should support styling XML with CSS.

The CSS2 spec says something about styling XML with CSS.
Henry also notes http://www.w3.org/Style/styling-XML.en.html.

Henry's tests are at
You need to look at the README and README2 files there.

issues with the Polyglot draft
Henry sent email with various potential issues at

Polyglot draft: BOM
We discussed the point about the spec recommending [P1] the use of the

[P1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/html-xhtml-author-guide/#character-encoding

Henry thinks we converged on this in email on Wednesday 11 January:

Henry: I think we should file an issue against Polyglot about the BOM.

ACTION: Henry to file an issue against Polyglot about the BOM.

Polyglot draft: xml:space and xml:base
See the minutes at
for the discussion.

ACTION: Henry to draft an issue regarding xml:space and xml:base in
         the Polyglot draft for WG review.

3.  XML Test Suite.

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite

ACTION to Henry:  Construct a test case for the XML test suite
issues raised by Frans Englich:

4.  LEIRIs--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri

We have planned to issue the following spec editions referencing
LEIRIs (and any outstanding errata):

* XML 1.0 6th Edition (John to be editor)
* XML 1.1 3rd Edition (John to be editor)
* XInclude 3rd Edition (Paul to be editor)

but all this is on hold awaiting resolution of IRIbis.

5.  XInclude 1.1--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude

On 2012 February 14, we published
XInclude 1.1 Requirement and Use Cases
summarizing the requirements and use cases for possible
enhancements to XInclude addressing the issues:

* @xpointer when parse="text"
* copying attributes from the xinclude element to the root
   included element

Before producing an XInclude 1.1, we will need an amended
charter as indicated by Ian at

We did get mostly positive feedback from Chris Lilley at:

Norm has posted something to the DocBook TC:

Norm nudged the DocBook mailing list again
and did publish this a few weeks ago:

Jirka gave some more feedback at
and also included it at

ACTION to Liam:  Investigate what it takes to modify our charter
to allow us to work on an XInclude 1.1 Recommendation.

6.  XML Model

Jirka reminded us that ISO published XML Model as an international
standard.  One can buy it at

He said that the process is in order to try to allow the ISO version
to be published for free.

We will wait to see if it becomes freely available and then update
our note to reference it.

ACTION to Jirka:  Check with the ISO working group about the
status of making the ISO version free.

[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core
[2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#tasks
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Mar/0008