Re: Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2012 April 18

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 08:47:30AM -0500, Paul Grosso wrote:
[...]
> Fall TPAC
> ---------
> There will be a TPAC meeting in Lyon, France in October/November:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Mar/0006
>
> We should consider whether we want to have a WG f2f there.
>
> Likely to attend:  Norm, Liam, Henry
> Not likely to attend:  Glenn, Paul, John
> Unknown:  Daniel, Jirka, Mohamed

Very unlikely to attend, sorry.

> Request for xml:href et al.
> ---------------------------
> Someone (apparently from the National Research Council
> of Canada) sent a message to xml-editor archived at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-editor/2012AprJun/0000
> requesting that we add xml:href, xml:rel, and xml:type
> attributes.
>
> I assume the appropriate answer is to point him to
> the XLink spec and suggest he use xlink:href, etc.,
> but I figured its worth asking the WG to discuss this
> and ask for a volunteer to draft a response.

  Agreed, linking outside of the document is not something which
need action at the parser level, so it doesn't need to be specified
in the core XML specification. It is then fine to point to other
specs in the area, and XLink is the best answer from that POV.

[...]
> 5.  XInclude 1.1--see http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude
>
> On 2012 February 14, we published
> XInclude 1.1 Requirement and Use Cases
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude-11-requirements/
> summarizing the requirements and use cases for possible
> enhancements to XInclude addressing the issues:
>
> * @xpointer when parse="text"

  Sounds reasonable, though I wonder about implementations.

> * copying attributes from the xinclude element to the root
>   included element

  Internally libxml2 preserves the old xi:include element
so the attributes can be found (and as well as boundaries of inclusions
when people need to roll them back). But I'm surprized to suggest
the existence of a "root included element" especially as part of
our charter, to me that doesn't exist, it may exist but people
will include well balanced chunks or even pure text, and I'm not
sure you could even guess in advance if those attributes would be
preserved or not. I find that confusing.

> Before producing an XInclude 1.1, we will need an amended
> charter as indicated by Ian at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2011Dec/0014
>
> We did get mostly positive feedback from Chris Lilley at:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-xinclude-comments/2012Feb/0000
>
> Norm has posted something to the DocBook TC:
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201202/msg00001.html
>
> Norm nudged the DocBook mailing list again
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201204/msg00000.html
> and did publish this a few weeks ago:
> http://norman.walsh.name/2012/02/20/xinclude11
>
> Jirka gave some more feedback at
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/201204/msg00002.html
> and also included it at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2012Apr/0002
>
> ACTION to Liam:  Investigate what it takes to modify our charter
> to allow us to work on an XInclude 1.1 Recommendation.

Daniel

daniel@veillard.com  | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/