Re: FW: Taking Associating Stylesheets Second Edition to PER [was: Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2010 June 30]

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 19:41 +0200, Simon Pieters wrote:
[...]
> > I met with Tim this morning; he'd like
> >
> > Add to the document, e.g. in the Applications para
> > At the time of edition 1 (1999) the meaning of these p-attributes was
> > not well specified,
>
> Appendix B already states:
>
> "The first edition of this specification was admirably brief, but at the
> same time left many details unstated."

Maybe it needs to be up higher :(

> > and at the time of edition 2 (2010) there is low
> > interoperability in the values between implementations;
>
> How do we assess that there is low interoperability in the values between
> implementations?
[...]

I don't have a way to assess interop because the spec is too vague.
There were claims made in our PER director's call that different
implementations do different things with a missing "media"
pseudo-attribute, although I'm not entirely sure that really means
low interop, because e.g. a Web browser isn't going to do anything
useful with a link to a FOSI stylesheet.

> > We need also to contact browser vendors and see if they are willing
> > to sit round a table & get conformance/semantics pinned down in a
> > future edition.
>
> Hmm. I work for a browser vendor. I joined this group in the hope to get
> conformance/semantics pinned down. But the WG consensus was to not have
> any conformance requirements at all.

Right (well, I wasn't on the WG at that time but watched from outside..)

I think Tim is agreeing with you, but also accepting the WG position
that this is an edited rec, not a whole new version.