Re: XML Core WG Status and Open Actions as of 2010 July 6

On Tue, 2010-07-06 at 13:01 -0400, Grosso, Paul wrote:
[...]

> Paul sent email to Daniel Glazman and TimBL requesting comment at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2010May/0012
> and there was no response.
>
> Liam talked to TimBL July 1 and sent some sketchy email at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2010Jul/0002
> explaining what to do next (but I'm not sure I follow it all,
> and I don't know if other WG members will agree with it).

I'm sorry for sending such a brief message - I was away from the office
and my laptop wasn't cooperating :(  I'll be away for 10 days starting
tomorrow, but should have network access again after Sunday (at the
Query/XSL F2F).

Tim had said, draft some wording and see if Danial and I are happy with
it.  We did that.  Tim is not happy with it.  But, he is OK with the
revised wording in my (brief) mail message.

So, if that wording goes into the spec, and if we can get a
response from Daniel Glazman with the revised wording, then we
get to move to the next step without going back to Tim.

When I get back (or next week) I can try contacting Daniel, and
can take an action to do that, if the WG is OK with the suggested
new wording.

In addition, Tim would like to see a whole new edition of this spec,
or at least some new document, that does define the meanings of the
various pseudo-attributes in more depth.  My own feeling was (is) that
any such document should be a WG Note, because even if we got all the
implementors of the spec around the table, there's no one WG with
authority to say how these things should be interpreted. Tim's response
was that maybe we can document the current status, so that people can
know eg. how to use "media" so that all the major browsers of 2010 will
do the same thing with it, and/or how to use XSLT to generate links for
print and screen styles, or whatever.

This part is all very vague, except that I think there's a clear goal,
to pin down who should do what and to promote interop. First, though,
is to get the current document published as a rec, and I did get Tim
to agree that these are two separate things.

I hope this helps clarify things.

Liam