W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xml-core-wg@w3.org > April 2009

Agenda for XML Core WG telcon of 2009 April 8

From: Grosso, Paul <pgrosso@ptc.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 11:29:43 -0400
Message-ID: <CF83BAA719FD2C439D25CBB1C9D1D3020F1BC9B9@HQ-MAIL4.ptcnet.ptc.com>
To: <public-xml-core-wg@w3.org>
We have an XML Core WG phone call scheduled for Wednesday, 
April 8, from
          08:00-09:00 Pacific time aka
          11:00-12:00 Eastern time aka
          15:00-16:00 UTC 
          16:00-17:00 in Ireland and the UK 
          17:00-18:00 in middle (most of) Europe 
on the Zakim W3C Bridge, +1 617 761 6200, passcode 9652#.
We also use IRC channel #xmlcore on irc.w3.org:6665 .

See the XML Core group page [1] for pointers to current documents
and other information.  If you have additions to the agenda, please
email them to the WG list before the start of the telcon.

Please also review our group page's task list [2] for accuracy and
completeness and be prepared to amend if necessary and accept it
at the beginning of the call.

1. Accepting the minutes from the last telcon [3] and
   the current task status [2] (have any questions, comments,
   or corrections ready by the beginning of the call).

2. Miscellaneous administrivia and document reviews.

We welcome Mohamed ZERGAOUI of Innovimax to the WG.


The next Technical Plenary (and AC meeting) week (TPAC week) 
will be Nov 2-6 in Santa Clara, California:

The XML Core WG is tentatively planning to meet f2f 
during that week.


Addison Phillips of I18N sent email about 
Unicode Normalization in XML 1.0 5th Ed.; see

Allowing canonical equivalents to be treated as identical 
directly in XML implies that an element's start tag and
end tag could be character-for-character different.  This
is not currently the case--such would be not well-formed
and the input is therefore not XML--and the WG does not want 
to make it the case.

We had no objections to adding some "motherhood" notes saying 
that XML producers SHOULD produce normalized output.

We are still considering whether we should put XML 1.1 wording
about normalization checking into XML 1.0.

ACTION to Henry:  Discuss with others at the AC meeting
the possibility of adding to XML 1.0 via erratum the 
"should" normalization checking from XML 1.1.

Paul provided a status update to Addison and I18N at


HTML request for clearer XML serialization
Henry raised the issue that HTML folks think the XML
spec is broken because it doesn't define error recovery
and doesn't discuss serialization.

ACTION to Henry:  Send email to the XML Core WG list
outlining the suggestion to define a serialization spec
including the rationale.


Overlap between Powder and LEIRIs
Henry writes:

Please review section 2.1.3 of the forthcoming draft of Protocol for
Web Description Resources (POWDER): Grouping of Resources [1]:  It
says things about e.g. entity expansion which I think at risk of
confusing proper layering, and it also doesn't seem to recognise the
LEIRI spec.

Unfortunately, this is already a PR, and I'm not sure I can wrap my
head around this just now without help and we don't have a telcon
scheduled until April 8.  If anyone has any ideas, please send email.


Pointer Methods in RDF
The ERT WG has issued a FPWD entitled "Pointer Methods in RDF":

This seems to overlap with XPointer (or it should). 

Norm reviewed this for the XML Core WG at
and there has been some follow up email discussion.
Norm had two points, one about the use of ptr:XMLNamespace
and another about their pointing into XML documents
using byte/character offsets and such.


ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34 as requested at
that they be allowed to use "xml-model" as a processing instruction
target name token.

3.  XML 1.0

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-errata

The XML 1.0 5th Edition Recommendation is at

4.  XML Test Suite.

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-test-suite

ACTION to Richard:  Construct a test case for the XML test suite 
issues raised by Frans Englich:

5.  Namespaces in XML 1.0/1.1

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#ns1.0 and

The NS 1.0 2nd Ed Errata document is at

The NS PE doc is at

Richard added some discussion at
The WG agreed with his direction and asked that he go forward with it.

ACTION to Richard:  Fill in a proposed resolution for NPE29.

6.  LEIRIs

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#leiri

The WG Note defining LEIRIs is at

The following specs need to be revised to reference LEIRIs:
XML 1.0 6th Edition
XML 1.1 3rd Edition 
XML Base 2nd Edition
XLink 1.1 (First Edition)
XInclude 3rd Edition 

7.  xml:id

The xml:id Recommendation is at

John Cowan submitted a proposed erratum at
and the WG had Consensus to do as follows:

 The sentence "A document that uses xml:id attributes that 
 have a declared type other than xs:ID will always generate 
 xml:id errors" in Appendix D.3 should be deleted.

ACTION to Henry:  Update the Errata document at

ACTION to Henry:  Think about the appropriateness of
the same sentence in Appendix D.2.

8.  XML Base 2nd Edition 2nd Rec

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xml-base

The XML Base 2nd Edition Recommendation is at

9.  XLink 1.1.

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xlink1.1

The earlier XLink CR was published at

The XLink 1.1 LC was published at

The LC review period ended 16 May 2008.

Norm has prepared a DoC at 

ACTION to Norm:  Update the DoC.

ACTION to Norm:  Update XLink 1.1 to refer to the LEIRI note.

There's an open question about whether the XSD/DTD 
should default the xlink:type attribute value. 
None of this effects our last call because the
XSD/DTD are not normative.

ACTION to Henry, John:  Produce a basic level
conformance XSD and RelaxNG schema for XLink.

We plan to skip CR and going directly to PR.

Paul drafted a PR transition request at

The Implementation Report at
is pitiful.  We'll need to augment this to be able to request PR.


Simon Cox, on behalf of the Open Geospatial Consortium, has
asked some questions about the XLink 1.1 XML Schema:
and ht replied:

10.  XInclude 3rd Edition

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude

XInclude 2nd Edition is at:

See http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#xinclude for
LEIRI-related changes for the 3rd Edition.

ACTION to Daniel: Produce a PER-ready draft of XInclude 3rd Ed
with appropriate references to the IRI RFC for LEIRIs.

11.  Associating Stylesheets.

See also http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#assoc-ss

Associating stylesheets with XML version 1.0 is at:

The Errata document is at:

Simon has requested we consider revisions; see his email at
and his suggested draft at

See also Simon's email at
outlining various issues.

Paul sent email giving Arbortext's behavior and other comments at

ACTION to Henry:  Determine Saxon behavior in various erroneous cases
and reply to Simon's email with results and suggested resolutions.

Others are invited to reply to Simon's email with suggested resolutions.


[1] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core
[2] http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/Core#tasks
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xml-core-wg/2009Mar/0004
Received on Monday, 6 April 2009 15:32:00 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:16:40 UTC