Re: Intro, proposed Associating Stylesheets update

Currently located at http://simon.html5.org/specs/xml-stylesheet5

> Simon Pieters, who wrote the proposal, will represent Opera in the group
> and continue to editif this becomes a work item (and to explain why we
> think it would be good to update the existing spec, his rationale for
> the proposal, and so on). I'll let him introduce himself and the
> proposal though.

I am working with QA and standards stuff at Opera since 2007 and I've been involved with HTML5 stuff since 2005. Apart form this group I'm a also member of the HTML WG and the PF WG.

As for the proposal... I think I'll just quote from the introduction of the draft:

   1.2 Motivation

   The creation of this specification was motivated for the following
   reasons:

     * The existing specification was unclear at best with regards to
       error handling, and required draconian error handling at worst.
     * The existing specification did not address dynamic changes to the
       DOM.
     * The existing specification did not match contemporary
       implementations.
     * At the time there were two additional specifications reusing the
       parsing rules for xml-stylesheet processing instructions. [XBL2]
       [CORS]

   1.3 Goals and constraints

     * Define reusable parsing rules for processing instructions with
       pseudo-attributes that is compatible with deployed content and
       implementations.
     * Define processing rules for xml-stylesheet processing instructions
       in terms of the DOM, taking DOM changes into account.
     * Error handling should be defined and should not be draconian.

   1.4 Issues

     * The parsing rules are a result of reverse engineering browsers. It
       is quite possible that they could be simplified quite a bit while
       still supporting existing content.
     * The charset pseudo-attribute is intended to be in sync with the
       charset attribute for style sheet links in HTML5. [HTML5]
     * This draft tries to not step on the toes of other specifications
       (in particular HTTP and XSLT) but browsers largely ignore various
       requirements in those specifications, such as ignoring Content-Type
       metadata and not supporting multiple xml-stylesheet processing
       instructions for XSLT.

Cheers,
--
Simon Pieters