Re: Transition Request: (2nd) PER Request for XML Base Second Edition

On Monday, March 17, 2008, 4:23:48 PM, John wrote:

JC> Chris Lilley scripsit:

>> Thanks, Richard. It does indeed currently refer to them simly as IRIs,
>> and points to RFC 3987 for the definition. It does also normatively
>> refer to XLink; but it also says what the type of the attributes are
>> rather than "they are whatever Xlink says" because, for one thing,
>> we have a DOM while XLink does not specify one.

JC> Okay, fair enough.  So SVG allows a subset of what XLink allows: nothing
JC> amiss with that.

>> It sounds as if you are saying that SVG should specify a subset of
>> what XLink and XML Base allow. So we say they accept an IRI.

>> Which is simple, but then we catch flack for embrace-and-extend (well
>> ok embrace-and-subset).

JC> I think there is a huge difference between extending and subsetting.
JC> You are already subsetting XLink by using simple links only

Yes.

Although inline  extended links are considered for SVG 1.2 Full:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/extendedlinks.html

JC> (indeed,
JC> the Core WG is considering making simple-links-only a formal conformance
JC> level of XLink 1.1).

That would be interesting.

JC>   So disallowing LEIRIs that are not IRIs, which
JC> you are already doing implicitly, is perfectly fine.

/me stores the 'get out of jail free' card and agrees this is fine.

>> Or we could specify differently for content conformance (IRI only)
>> and processors (LEIRI). Not very nice either.

JC> Feh.

I agree, not a good option.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead