Re: Transition Request: (2nd) PER Request for XML Base Second Edition

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:23:48 -0400
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>, Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "Grosso, Paul" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, timbl@w3.org, steve@w3.org, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org, webreq@w3.org, chairs@w3.org, w3t-comm@w3.org, michelsu@microsoft.com

Chris Lilley scripsit:

> Thanks, Richard. It does indeed currently refer to them simly as IRIs,
> and points to RFC 3987 for the definition. It does also normatively
> refer to XLink; but it also says what the type of the attributes are
> rather than "they are whatever Xlink says" because, for one thing,
> we have a DOM while XLink does not specify one.

Okay, fair enough.  So SVG allows a subset of what XLink allows: nothing
amiss with that.

> It sounds as if you are saying that SVG should specify a subset of
> what XLink and XML Base allow. So we say they accept an IRI.
>
> Which is simple, but then we catch flack for embrace-and-extend (well
> ok embrace-and-subset).

I think there is a huge difference between extending and subsetting.
You are already subsetting XLink by using simple links only (indeed,
the Core WG is considering making simple-links-only a formal conformance
level of XLink 1.1).  So disallowing LEIRIs that are not IRIs, which
you are already doing implicitly, is perfectly fine.

> Or we could specify differently for content conformance (IRI only)
> and processors (LEIRI). Not very nice either.

Feh.

--
John Cowan    http://ccil.org/~cowan  cowan@ccil.org
Arise, you prisoners of Windows / Arise, you slaves of Redmond, Wash,