Re: Can we have @lang back in XHTML Family?

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 10:59:55 -0800
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
CC: public-xhtml2@w3.org, public-i18n-core@w3.org, fd@w3.org

Richard Ishida wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This topic was discussed last week in the i18n WG call, and the group
> formally supports adding the lang attribute to the XHTML family as a stopgap
> means to enable language information to be recognised by html processors.
> http://www.w3.org/2009/01/28-core-minutes.html#item07
>
> We would also like to enlist the support of the BPWG and the XHTML WGs to
> propose to the HTML5 WG that their spec recognise xml:lang as equivalent to
> lang, so that eventually XHTML can be written with a single language
> attribute, ie. xml:lang, and still be recognised by html processors. Would
> your groups support this?

Define "equivalent". Same semantics or same DOM and semantics?
I.e. Do you want
   - 'lang' and 'xml:lang' to both be considered as presenting language info
   - 'lang' in XHTML to be parsed into the DOM tree as 'xml:lang'?
   - 'xml:lang' in XHTML to parsed into the DOM tre as 'lang'?
   - something else?

If there's a mismatch between 'lang' and 'xml:lang', which one wins?

~fantasai