Re: input on name for XML serialization of HTML 5?

Shane McCarron wrote:
> I feel very strongly that the "xml serialization" of HTML 5 should NOT
> be called anything with XHTML in its name.

XHTML is already referred to as the XML serialisation of HTML 4. And
rightly so, as that is, after all, what it is. Not keeping that name,
which has significant take-up in the ‘web world’ as being the XML
variant of HTML, would honestly not make sense, and hard to explain to
most of the XHTML 1.0 and 1.1 users out there.

Personally I am fine with XHTML2 and XHTML5 both keeping their names;
after all, IPv5 was also something quite different from IPv6.
Nevertheless, if a name change is needed to avoid confusion, I think it
should rather be XHTML2 that would have to change its name, being the
specification that diverges from XHTML 1 quite significantly, it is
largely incompatible, and even using a different namespace.

(On a side note, I do think it would be desirable that a schema for
HTML5 were delivered, in the form of a set of modules.)

~Grauw