Re: [URW3 public] OWL extensions [was Re: [URW3] ... three questions based on the last telecon]

From: Kathryn Blackmond Laskey <klaskey@gmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:32:11 -0400
To: Umberto Straccia <umberto.straccia@isti.cnr.it>, public-xg-urw3@w3.org

>>.... you can extend the language and the inference mechanism or
>>express and process the uncertainty within the standard language.
>>
>>tall(John) : 0.7
>>
>>vs
>>
>>tall(John, 0.7)
>>
>>(... in both cases, without saying what 0.7 represents)

Independent of which way we go on tall(John) : 0.7 or tall(John,0.7),
it will not be enough just to annotate sentences with a number
expressing some degree of certainty or plausibility or membership or
whatever.  To do probabilistic reasoning, we need to be able to make
conditional independence statements, and to express conditional
probabilities. To do probability tractably depends on representations
composed out of local modules, and these local modules are
parameterized by conditional probabilities, not absolute
probabilities.