Re: [URW3 public] OWL extensions [was Re: [URW3] ... three questions based on the last telecon]

On 19 Jul 2007, at 13:36, Umberto Straccia wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:22 AM, Trevor Martin wrote:
>
>> This is precisely the choice faced by implementers of logic
>> programming + uncertainty languages .... you can extend the
>> language and the inference mechanism or express and process the
>> uncertainty within the standard language.
>>
>> tall(John) : 0.7
>>
>> vs
>>
>> tall(John, 0.7)
>>
>> (... in both cases, without saying what 0.7 represents)
>>
>> The former approach gives you more control, reduces to "standard"
>> notation when the uncertainty is omitted and (I think) makes the
>> semantics clearer;
>> the latter involves no change to existing notation (hence is
>> easier to  sell ) but gets messy when only some of the
>> representation requires the uncertainty and obscures the meaning
>> of the annotation.
>>

> Not exactly, Trevor.  What should be a minimal setting (you know
> that there are 200+ citations about Logic Programming, uncertainty/
> vagueness ....) be ? What semantics?

I was trying to avoid (for the time being) the question of what the
number (or annotation) means

> Even an expression of the form
>
> P(c1, ...cn): 0.7
>
> is open to a pletora of semantic options ...
>
> What I say is is that
>
>> tall(John) : 0.7
>
> should rather be represented like (guided by the uncertainty ontology)
>
> sentence s IS tall(John) AND s HasTruthDegree = 0.7
>
> Anyway, that's just my opinion ...

I think this is the second option I mentioned - effectively you say
R1(X, Y) AND  R2(X, Z)  where X =  sentence s, R2 = HasTruthDegree, etc

This doesn't give any special status to HasTruthDegree.

I'm not disagreeing, just trying to clarify things in my own mind ....

Trevor