Re: SSN-XG Meeting Minutes 15-July-2009

Dear All,

> I concur with doing project management at SourceForge, and that it is
> not a suitable way to maintain the ontology versions themselves.

do we agree to handle the ontology project management (feature request
from external users, forum for discussion, bug tracker, visibility to
the public, release of stable versions,...) at sourceforge and look for
a collaborative editing environment (WebProtege, OWLdiff, MMI
repository,...) for the ontology editing and versioning? I can set up
and configure a project at sourceforge and invite everybody (however,
IMO Holger should be responsible for the release management and so
forth). I also agree that we should look for a pragmatic solution for
the licensing, something that allows us all to contribute and is open to
external users.

Regards
Krzysztof

John Graybeal schrieb:
> [...]
> not a suitable way to maintain the ontology versions themselves.  An
> ontology repository should be selected for maintaining versions of the
> ontology.
>
> Following is a use case we consider important for MMI's ontology
> repository [1]; I would be especially pleased to use any combination
> that supports it.
>
> 1) The first version of the ontology is submitted to the server. A
> service automatically provides dereferencing for the URIs for all the
> concepts in the ontology.
> 2) A second version is submitted to the server.  New URIs are created
> for all the concepts that have changed. (Philosophically, I'd like new
> URIs for all the concepts, but I appreciate that some have visceral
> issues with that approach.)
> 3) Any concept that is changed is automatically pointed back (in RDF)
> to its predecessor using an invertible relationship.
>
> With this use case accomplished, versions are automatically tracked.
> Equally important, someone who uses a concept (URI) at a particular
> stage of the ontology's development has a method to (a) guarantee the
> concept doesn't change from under them, and (b) follow the trail to
> any subsequent versions of that concept, should they need to do so.
>
> The MMI repository has this capability, but does not have
> concept-level differencing capabilities (yet), and does not support
> wiki-like editing of terms, the way WebProtege (for example) is
> intended to. But it is offered to this project for its other features,
> should those be useful.
>
> John
>
> [1] MMI Ontology Registry and Repository: http://mmisw.org/or
>

> On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:33 AM, Oscar Corcho wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry to jump in in this conversation without having attended the
>> last two conference calls, due to travelling. While I agree with all
>> the statements about community based development with Sourceforge, I
>> must say that this approach has been tried unsuccessfully in
>> different sets of activities that I have been participating in the
>> past. The main problem with this is the following: source versioning
>> systems are focused on detecting changes/deltas in source code, but
>> not in ontology code. When a person makes a change in an ontology
>> with an ontology editor, the most important fact is that the
>> serialization of the ontology may be **completely different** to the
>> previous one, in terms of the ordering of the RDF triples that appear
>> in the file, what makes tracking of changes almost impossible for
>> humans.
>>
>> I think that Raúl was commenting the possibility of using WebProtégé,
>> which allows discussions over ontology terms, and probably we could
>> go for a mixture of technologies/approaches: WebProtégé for the
>> collaboration part on pure ontology development, and sourceforge for
>> the bug tracking, the community involvement, and the releases of

>>> available.  Hopefully this approach would promote increased exposure

>>> www.csiro.au <http://www.csiro.au> *|*