W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-socialweb@w3.org > May 2009

Re: First vCard in RDF and FOAF Future Telecon: May 27th 2:00 UTC (immediately after SWXG telecon)

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:27:24 +0200
Message-ID: <4A1BC40C.5010108@danbri.org>
To: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
CC: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, Renato Iannella <renato@nicta.com.au>, martin.hepp@ebusiness-unibw.org, Peter Mika <pmika@yahoo-inc.com>, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>, Brian Suda <brian.suda@gmail.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, public-xg-socialweb@w3.org
On 26/5/09 11:52, Harry Halpin wrote:

(please stop calling it FOAF 2.0, we're currently at v0.91 so next 
sensible major number is 1.0 unless we're following the Java JDK 
numbering system :)

(the 0.1 in the schema ns URI will probably not change btw)

> Lastly, we need to double-check to see if there are any substantive
> changes to vCard-in-XML (whose rather spam-filled mailing list is here
> [1] and whose last spec is here [2]).

vCard-in-XML is not moving currently, but vCard itself is. They are 
working on lots of changes, and doing it within the text format for now. 
There is already some vcard / portable contacts dialogue happening there 
too.

Relevant group is 
http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/vcarddav-charter.html in IETF 
Applications area.

See http://www.vcarddav.org/wiki

charter: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/vcarddav-charter.html

Excerpting from that below.

I recommend also joining the mailing list, 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/vcarddav


The last draft came out 2 weeks ago, see 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-07

A quick skim through 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-vcarddav-vcardrev-07#appendix-B 
will reveal some significant changes. I'd highlight the following 
(hand-excerpted from longer list by me here):

    o  Made the UID property's value type a URI.
    o  Made the value of TEL a URI.
    o  Made explicit that coordinates in the GEO property are expressed
       in the WGS 84 reference system.
    o  Added the RELATED (Section 7.6.6) property.
    o  Made AGENT only accept URI references instead of inline vCards.
    o  Removed inline vCard value.
    o  Dashes in dates and colons in times are now mandatory.
    o  Defined meaning of PUBLIC, PRIVATE, CONFIDENTIAL.
    o  Removed TYPE parameter from EMAIL and IMPP properties.
    o  In N property, removed additional names, and replaced with
       multiple given names.
    o  Restricted the TEL TYPE parameter value set.
    o  Assigned meaning to WORK and HOME groups.
    o  Reintroduced the group construct.
    o  Removed the "work" and "home" TYPE values.
    o  Moved "pref" from being a TYPE value to a parameter in its own
       right.
    o  Added "location" value for KIND property.
    o  Created the "language-tag" value type.
    o  Simplified the LANG property to use the vCard preference
       mechanism.
    o  Defined properties allowable in WORK and HOME groups.
    o  Defined property cardinalities.
    o  Made gender values extensible.
    o  Let KEY value type be reset to a URI value.
    o  ORG can now have a single level.
    o  REV now has the timestamp value type.
    o  Completely reworked the date, time, and date-time grammars.
    o  Added GEO and TZ parameters to ADR.
    o  Made GEO a URI.
    o  Added the "emergency" RELATED type.
    o  PREF is now bounded. 100 is the maximum value.
    o  The AGENT property was replaced with a type of RELATED.
    o  The value of TEL is now a URI.
    o  The N property is no longer mandatory.
    o  The "pref" value of the TYPE parameter is now a parameter of its
       own, with a positive integer value indicating the level of
       preferredness.
    o  The "work", "home", and "uri" TYPE parameter values for the EMAIL
       property have been added.
    o  [RFC4770], which defines the IMPP property, has been merged in.
    o  [RFC2739], which defines the FBURL, CALADRURI, CAPURI, and CALURI
       properties, has been merged in.
    o  The KIND, GENDER, LANG, DDAY, BIRTH, and DEATH properties have
       been added.
    o  In the N property, additional names are now subsumed into the
       given names list.
    o  The "intl", "dom", "postal", and "parcel" TYPE parameter values
       for the ADR and LABEL properties have been removed.
    o  The group construct (i.e.  GROUP.PROPERTY:...) no longer exists.
    o  New vCard elements can be registered from IANA.
    o  UTF-8 is now the default character set.

(I've taken these from several change-lists, it's possible some changes 
retract or affect others from different versions)

Hope this gives some scope as to the changes. I'd emphasise the removal 
of inline agents, the increased emphasis on URIs, relationships, and 
clarity about cardinality as healthy changes that bring everything a bit 
closer together...

Dan



charter excerpt [[

This WG will produce the following outputs:

(1) A revision of the vCard specification (RFC2426) at proposed
standard status. This revision shall include other vCard standardized
extensions (RFC 2739, 4770) and extensions assisting synchronization
technologies (for example, a per-entry UUID or per-attribute sequence
number). Other extensions shall be considered either in the base
specification or in additional documents.

(2) An address book access protocol leveraging the vCard data format.
The Internet-draft draft-daboo-carddav will be the starting point.
The WG is explicitly cautioned to keep the base specification feature
set small with an adequate extension mechanism, as failure to do so
was a problem for previous PAB efforts (ACAP). The WG will consider
arguments of the form "feature X must be in the base feature set
because ..." with great skepticism.

These documents will consider security implications carefully. The WG
will consider developing a mechanism that provides the ability to
check if an email address (or im address, etc) is in the user's PAB
without providing unrestricted access to all of the user's PAB data.
The WG should also consider developing a mechanism that allows the
user to grant this limited permission to a third-party service (such
as a server-based Sieve engine) for white-list purposes.

Once the primary outputs are complete, the WG will consider the
following secondary outputs:

(3) An XML schema which is semantically identical to vCard in all ways
and can be mechanically translated to and from vCard format without
loss of data. While vCard has deployed successfully and will remain
the preferred interchange format, a standard XML schema which
preserves vCard semantics might make vCard data more accessible to XML-
centric technologies such as AJAX and XSLT. Such a standard format
would be preferable to multiple proprietary XML schemas,
particularly if vCard semantics were lost by some of them and a lossy
gateway problem resulted.

(4) Identifying useful deployed vCard vendor extensions and creating
standards track versions of those extensions.

(5) Cooperate with the Sieve WG to produce a Sieve extension for
address book Sieve tests.

(6) LDAP mapping to the new vCard format without loss of data.

]]

> Anything else that should be put on the agenda?
>
>
> [1] http://www.imc.org/ietf-vcard-xml/mail-archive/
> [2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dawson-vcard-xml-dtd-01
>
>> cheers,
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> On 25/5/09 15:02, Harry Halpin wrote:
>>> We'll do our first "invited telecon" on fixing up the vCard FOAF
>>> mismatch on Wednesday at 2:00 UTC. While several important people
>>> can't make it (DanBri and Renato), I'll be seeing Renato in person a
>>> few days afterwards, so it's important we develop a list of things we
>>> want fixed and open questions that need an answer for vCard in RDF.
>>> Then, hopefully in a later "guest" telecon, we can sort out the issues
>>> of mapping vCard to the latest IETF vCard/Portable Contacts work, and
>>> the future of FOAF. In particular, getting feedback from the use of
>>> vCard/RDF in the wilde from Peter Mika is of importance, as well as
>>> someone (Ivan?) who has an idea for the process for merging the vCard
>>> ontology/VCard in RDF namespaces. Lastly, Libby, if you have any
>>> preferences or questions for for how vCard should evolve with FOAF,
>>> now would be a good time to start brainstorming.
>>>
>>> Doing as much of this brainstorming as possible over the list-serv
>>> beforehand is always a good thing.
>>>
>>> Here's the telecon details:
>>>
>>> May 27th 2:00 UTC (Check your local time [1])
>>> SWXG WG "Invited Guest: VCard"  meeting
>>>             2009-05-27T14:00-15:00Z
>>>            + Zakim teleconference bridge: Boston, USA:
>>>              +1.617.761.6200 code:SWXG Nice, France:
>>>              +33.4.89.06.34.99 code:SWXG Bristol, UK:
>>>              +44.117.370.6152 code:SWXG
>>>               supplementary IRC chat: #swxg on irc.w3.org port 6665
>>>
>>> Tell me if you need any more help with Zakim and telecons in general.
>>>
>>> [1] http://permatime.com/UTC/2009-05-27/14:00/Next_teleconference
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Harry Halpin<hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
>>>   wrote:
>>>> Everyone,
>>>>
>>>>     You've been invited to help sort out the "great" vCard in RDF and
>>>> FOAF controversy, hopefully in order to get one useful RDF vocabulary
>>>> that contains the basic core terms needed to describe people (call it
>>>> "FOAF 2.0 - the vCard edition" if you will, although we may just have
>>>> a new single version of vCard in RDF emerge as a module to be used
>>>> with FOAF. Who knows?). We need to discuss what terms, solve any open
>>>> issues, how to host, how to point old versions to a new version, and
>>>> then how to outreach and communicate with the Portable Contacts and
>>>> the current vCard IETF WG.
>>>>
>>>>    The Social Web XG will host the telecon. What times work best for
>>>> people? The Social Web XG would prefer a Wednesday at 2:00 UTC (Note
>>>> that this is 3:00 London, 10 AM Boston time). Please use this Doodl
>>>> scheduler to indicate what times you are open:
>>>>
>>>> http://www.doodle.com/2b94ukh7ztdvaesv
>>>>
>>>>    Lastly, see our wiki page [1] for more information.
>>>>
>>>>    Thank you,
>>>>
>>>>             harry
>>>>
>>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/socialweb/wiki/DiscussionTopics
>>>>                harry
>>>>
>>
>
Received on Tuesday, 26 May 2009 10:28:18 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 2 June 2009 18:35:30 GMT