Re: permanence of mendeley's urls

Hello,

I've been working on the citation links for the state of the art
discussed last week, and have a few comments about linking to Mendeley
from the Wiki, as it may affect how we cite in any report we put on
the Wiki.

We said in the telecon that the reason for linking to the articles in
Mendeley (rather than DOI, for example) was to allow people to know
about and use our Mendeley collection.  However, if you click on the
Mendeley paper links, the pages you reach don't have any mention of
our collection, so I'm afraid this won't work.  For example, try
clicking on the links in the News Aggregator state of the art - a
Mendeley page on the paper is reached, but no mention that the paper
is in our collection.

Also, there are multiple URLs per paper, depending on how you find the
article: you get one if you find it through browsing our collection,
another if you find it through browsing Mendeley's own categorisation,
and a third if you search on the paper title, with apparently no way
to translate one to another.  I believe the third kind is used in the
News Aggregator state of the art, which is fine except that, as Daniel
said, not all articles in our collection are found on searching, so I
can't use it consistently for my scenario's state of the art.

Maybe I'm just missing something in my use of Mendeley, but I suggest
that linking to the papers on Mendeley from the Wiki may be too much
trouble for too little gain.

Thanks,
Simon

On 29 August 2010 13:07, Paul Groth <pgroth@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We had a question on Friday's telecon about whether Mendeley's URLs are
> permanent. Here's what the Mendeley guys said:
>
> mendeley_com @pgroth Generally: Yes! Though because we merge and
> collapse duplicates, in very few instances, the doc title (and hence
> URL) may change.
>
> So I guess we can count on the urls. I guess the best suggestion then is
> to link to both the mendeley url and the doi url.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Dr Simon Miles
Lecturer, Department of Computer Science
Kings College London, WC2R 2LS, UK
+44 (0)20 7848 1166