Re: [MMSEM] Music Use Case & FOAF

Hi,

Raphaël Troncy wrote:
> Hi Oscar,
>
> Thanks for the detailed answers!
>
>> Right now only title and artist. For the moment, I think it's enough.
>> More options could be the Musicbrainz/MusicDNS PUID [1].
>
> Yes, I think it would also be great.
> But who can generate the PUID ? Only the secret algorithm of MusicBrainz ?
Nope! the secret algorithm comes from the clever MusicIP company [1].
They provide the MusicDNS service [2][3], that is "linked" with the
MusicBrainz metadata repository. So, you can generate a PUID with the
client (open source), and then send it to their servers, but the server
side code (music similarity, and identification) is completely closed.

>> I meant "possible", in the sense that more metadata could be filled in
>> (see MO examples at [2], specially level 3).
>> BTW, I think the conversion is quite straightforward and simple.
>
> OK, I see. But you cannot get these additional metadata (that MO allows in the level 3) only
> from the common ID3 tags ...
No, we can't. We will need to apply some low-mid-level descriptors from
the audio. That's the use case shown in the /facet+music application
(browsing via different facets of the music).
The problem is that computing this descriptors under demand (when the
mp3 URL is sent) is time-consuming. So, we will probably have to stick
with these editorial descriptors for the ID3 to MO showcase implementation.

> I think it would be great that in the use case you make a small table detailing what ID3 tags
> you convert and their equivalence in MO, but as you said, it is quite straightforward ...
Ok. I agree. I will do that, then.

All the best,

Oscar
[1] http://mtg101.upf.es/podcast-urls.data