W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > June 2011

Minutes of 2011-06-16 LLD meeting

From: Panzer,Michael <panzerm@oclc.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:02:44 -0400
Message-ID: <AA3DCFAA4E87BD40BBAA507B1C36CC3D05FEFDA5@OAEXCH4SERVER.oa.oclc.org>
To: <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Hi everyone,

The minutes of our last telecon are at
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html
.

A text version follows.

Cheers,
Michael

-----

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                LLD XG

16 Jun 2011

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0025.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-irc

Attendees

   Present
          dvilasuero, emma, AlexanderH, michaelp, tbaker, antoine,
          rsinger, rayd, jneubert, kefo, GordonD, edsu, monica, LarsG,
          pmurray, digikim

   Regrets
          William, Marcia, Lars, Jeff

   Chair
          Emmanuelle

   Scribe
          Michael

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Admin
         2. [6]Final report -- reviews
         3. [7]"LIBRARY LINKED DATA": SCOPE OF THIS REPORT (Karen,
            Peter, Tom, Gordon, Jodi)
         4. [8]BENEFITS OF LINKED DATA (Ed, Emmanuelle, Ross)
         5. [9]RELEVANT TECHNOLOGIES (Jeff)
         6. [10]IMPLEMENTATION CHALLENGES AND BARRIERS TO ADOPTION
            (Karen, Peter, Tom, Gordon, Jodi)
         7. [11]RECOMMENDATIONS AND NEXT STEPS (Karen, Peter, Tom,
            Gordon, Jodi)
         8. [12]LIBRARY LINKED DATA: VOCABULARIES AND DATASETS -
            SEPARATE DELIVERABLE (Antoine, Jeff, Marcia, William)
         9. [13]USE CASES (Daniel) - SEPARATE DELIVERABLE
        10. [14]TRANSITION TO W3C COMMUNITY GROUP
     * [15]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <tbaker> Previous:
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minu
   tes.html

     [16]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minutes.html

   <tbaker> emma, do you know who sent regrets?

   <kcoyle> [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/ScribeDuty

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/ScribeDuty

   <emma> Scribe: Michael

   <emma> scribenick: michaelp

Admin

   <emma> [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/RunningAgenda

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/RunningAgenda

   Emma: Minutes of last telecon accepted.

   <digikim_> monica :)

   <scribe> ACTION: Tom to send email to the LOD-LAM participants and
   create a final version of the presentation [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/26-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01] [DONE]

     [19]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/26-lld-minutes.html
#action01

   <tbaker> The LOD-LAM presentation is at
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/File:Lldxg-summary.ppt
   x

     [20]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/File:Lldxg-summary.pptx

Final report -- reviews

   Emma: Open action on getting comments and reviews

   Emma: Karen suggested using blog for comments
   ... We need someone to setup a WordPress blog and copy parts of
   review

   <monica> why cam we not use digress.it site?

   <digikim_> kcoule +1

   Karen: We have gotten no replies from the public list. Approaching
   single individuals more succesful.

   <antoine> the principle is ok, but I'm not sure we want to
   centralize it!

   Emma: Targetting contributers could be more efficient.

   <digikim_> kcoyle: yes, I just sent the email to the two people at
   the national library of finland and said that you need to comment on
   this, to resque the world ;)

   <Zakim> tbaker, you wanted to say that the chairs have approached
   alot of people

   Karen: We don't happen to get general comments

   TomB: We have sent out a lot of mails and had gotten a very good
   response rate from potential commenters.
   ... We asked to review particular sections.

   <emma>
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAss
   ignments

     [21]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAssignments

   Karen: I am concerned about responses specifically from the library
   community.

   <antoine> Aren't we going to send to
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dissemination_Lists ?

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Dissemination_Lists

   <kcoyle> antoine, i don't think that sending to lists is going to
   get the attention of the people we need to reach

   Emma: We have people from inside the group.

   <emma>
   [23]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0023.h
   tml

     [23]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0023.html

   Emma: We have prepared a call for comments.
   ... Ok for sending this Call for Comments on the list?

   <antoine> karen: well, at least it will be a wider than the lld
   alone! And of course that should not prevent us from trying personal
   requests. It's just that I don't think we should/can centralize that

   Antoine: I like the idea of members contacting outside people
   personally.
   ... I also wanted to point out that the call would also be send to a
   wider audience.

   Emma: Any objections to the draft of the Call?

   <dvilasuero> +1 to draft call

   <scribe> ACTION: Co-chairs to draft message to the community about
   review between 16 June and 20 July - post before next call, on 16
   June [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minu
   tes.html#action02] [DONE]

     [24]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minutes.html
#action02

   <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to comment on adding blog to the call

   Antoine: Do we want to add a blog reference/link to the Call?

   Emma: Karen, do you have a platform in mind?

   Monica: I think we could host it, but have to check if it will be
   open to anyone.

   Karen: We could use Blogspot, etc.
   ... But is this gonna work? I am wondering if this would trigger
   specific comments.

   Emma: W3C would probably not comfortable with a public plattform.

   Monica: How long do we expect the blog to be accessible?

   <antoine> 2 months?

   Emma: Duration of the review process, 2 month.

   <pmurray> I don't think we need to keep the comment blog around for
   a long time.

   <antoine> we can just save the comments as HTML and upload them on
   the wiki, if we want an archive...

   <pmurray> antoine: +1

   Monica: We could set it up if it is not for a long period.

   <dvilasuero> antoine +1

   <pmurray> I think it would be useful as a short term tool, not a
   long term preservation of commentary.

   <scribe> ACTION: Antoine and Emmanuelle to talk about strategies for
   getting comments at next call [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action15] [DONE]

     [25]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action15

   Karen: We can split the blog up into sections that are moderated.

   Emma: We need the URL for the blog before the Call for Comments can
   go out.

   <scribe> ACTION: Monica to set up blog for comments on Monday
   [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action05]

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action05

   <scribe> ACTION: Jeff and William to propose text on microdata and
   schema.org - where in the report it should be discussed [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minu
   tes.html#action03] [DONE]

     [27]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minutes.html
#action03

   <emma>
   [28]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0026.h
   tml

     [28]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jun/0026.html

   Emma: We have to discuss how to integrate comments we are receiving
   ... Topic for next week.

"LIBRARY LINKED DATA": SCOPE OF THIS REPORT (Karen, Peter, Tom, Gordon,
Jodi)

   <scribe> ACTION: everyone to read
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits#.22Library_Li
   nked_Data.22:_Scope_of_this_report and do lightweight review
   [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04] [DONE]

     [29]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits#.22Library_Linked_Dat
a.22:_Scope_of_this_report
     [30]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action04

   <tbaker> +1 close action

   <scribe> ACTION: Jodi to send email about Scope statement [recorded
   in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05] [DONE]

     [31]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action05

BENEFITS OF LINKED DATA (Ed, Emmanuelle, Ross)

   <scribe> ACTION: Karen to edit the Benefits section [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/26-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06] [DONE]

     [32]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/26-lld-minutes.html
#action06

   <emma>
   [33]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011May/0080.h
   tml

     [33]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011May/0080.html

   <tbaker> +1 - have asked

   <scribe> ACTION: Tom to ask Hideaki or Dickson to review
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06] [DONE]

     [34] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits
     [35]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action06

RELEVANT TECHNOLOGIES (Jeff)

   <scribe> ACTION: Gordon to review Relevant Technologies [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04] [CONTINUED]

     [36]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minutes.html
#action04

   <GordonD> OK to add Gordon to list of reviewers

IMPLEMENTATION CHALLENGES AND BARRIERS TO ADOPTION (Karen, Peter, Tom,
Gordon, Jodi)

   <antoine> in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_
   linked_data there are things that relate to problems

     [37]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_linked_d
ata

   Karen: I don't really see a place for this in the report, because it
   doesn't really relate to problems and limitations.

   <antoine> E.g. Q: How can libraries be encouraged to "free" their
   records?

   <Zakim> tbaker, you wanted to ask if it might be folded into
   Available Vocabularies deliverable

   Karen: I looked at the available vocabularies, but it looked like it
   is not meant to be comprehensive.
   ... Should we add to it?
   ... A lot of what is in Library Standards is not about vocabs or
   data sets.

   <emma>
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_Data_Resources

     [38]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_Data_Resources

   TomB: I am just wondering of the scope of this vocab and dataset
   deliverable could be expanded to accomodate what is already in there
   ... It would be a pity not to publish some of the discussion there.

   <antoine>
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_Data_Resources

     [39]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_Data_Resources

   Antoine: Would this just apply to the page/link above?

   <emma>
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_
   linked_data

     [40]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_linked_d
ata

   Karen: We want to expand this other page to accomodate vocabs.

   <tbaker> I wasn't suggesting the pages be combined mechanically -
   not everything necessarily needs to be integrated into a formal
   deliverable

   Emma: Maybe we could just freeze the two pages and identify places
   where we could point to them.

   Antoine: Library Data Resources is about library standards. Could
   the vocab page point there?

   <monica> maybe we can make an even stronger statement "we highly
   recommend that you read link for background on topic xxx"

   Emma: Can we include some as issues for further discussion?

   <GordonD> Before freezing the Library Data Resources page, I will
   update it ...

   Karen: All the key issues here have gone into the issues section,
   just worded differently.

   <scribe> ACTION: Karen and Antoine to relate Library Data Resources
   and Library Standards and Linked data [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action12]

     [41] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action12

   <scribe> ACTION: Gordon and Karen to consider relation between
   problems and limitation section and the library resource wiki page.
   [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/03/24-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01] [DONE]

     [42]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/03/24-lld-minutes.html
#action01

RECOMMENDATIONS AND NEXT STEPS (Karen, Peter, Tom, Gordon, Jodi)

   <emma>
   [43]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2011May/0052.html

     [43]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lld/2011May/0052.html

   <scribe> ACTION: Jeff to review
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_recommendations_
   page for next week [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action12] [DONE]

     [44]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_recommendations_page
     [45]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action12

   <monica> Draft Report blog - [46]http://blogs.ukoln.ac.uk/w3clld/ :)

     [46] http://blogs.ukoln.ac.uk/w3clld/

   <monica> I will make some cosmetic changes on Monday and start call
   for emails of editors

   <antoine> monica++

   <kcoyle> monica++!

   <dvilasuero> monica +1

   <scribe> ACTION: Tom to ask Dickson and Guenther if they could
   contribute curriculum issues to the Recommendations Section
   [recorded in
   [47]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action13] [CONTINUED]

     [47]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action13

   TomB: His longer comments should go to the list.
   ... even if we cannot include everything in the report.

LIBRARY LINKED DATA: VOCABULARIES AND DATASETS - SEPARATE DELIVERABLE
(Antoine, Jeff, Marcia, William)

   Emma: Still looking for reviewers.

   <digikim_> I sent a review on the whole document, was this noticed?
   (should we list somewhere all review emails to keep track?)

USE CASES (Daniel) - SEPARATE DELIVERABLE

   dvilasuero: I asked cluster owners and contacted Gordon. I will send
   email to list per Tuesday.

TRANSITION TO W3C COMMUNITY GROUP

   Antoine: Another comment on reviews. Do we keep track of reviews in
   a formal manner?

   <digikim_> antoine: +1

   Antoine: Should we centralize the comments, keep a list?
   ... W3C usually uses an issue tracker.

   <dvilasuero> antoine +1

   Antoine: All emails are tracked and a workflow is kept track of.

   <Zakim> tbaker, you wanted to suggest that someone be responsible,
   for each section, for thanking reviewers and acknowledging reviews

   TomB: I suggest that when people send reviews, they should be
   acknowledged with a personal response.

   <tbaker> +1 wiki page is good enough for tracking issues

   <emma>
   [48]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAss
   ignments

     [48]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/DraftReportReviewerAssignments

   Emma: Can we continue to track the reviews on this page?

   Antoine: This aslo gives some candidate names of people who should
   response to reviews.
   ... of specific parts

   Emma: We discuss next week how to handle reviews.

   Emma: Thanks, meeting adjourned.

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Karen to edit the Benefits section [recorded in
   [49]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/26-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: Monica to set up blog for comments on Monday [recorded
   in [50]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action05]

     [49]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/26-lld-minutes.html
#action06
     [50] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action05

   [PENDING] ACTION: Gordon to review Relevant Technologies [recorded
   in
   [51]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Tom to ask Dickson and Guenther if they could
   contribute curriculum issues to the Recommendations Section
   [recorded in
   [52]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action13]

     [51]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minutes.html
#action04
     [52]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action13

   [DONE] ACTION: Karen and Antoine to relate Library Data Resources
   and Library Standards and Linked data [recorded in
   [53]http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action12]
   [DONE] ACTION: Antoine and Emmanuelle to talk about strategies for
   getting comments at next call [recorded in
   [54]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action15]
   [DONE] ACTION: Co-chairs to draft message to the community about
   review between 16 June and 20 July - post before next call, on 16
   June [recorded in
   [55]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minu
   tes.html#action02]
   [DONE] ACTION: everyone to read
   [56]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits#.22Library_Li
   nked_Data.22:_Scope_of_this_report and do lightweight review
   [recorded in
   [57]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04]
   [DONE] ACTION: Gordon and Karen to consider relation between
   problems and limitation section and the library resource wiki page.
   [recorded in
   [58]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/03/24-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01]
   [DONE] ACTION: Jeff and William to propose text on microdata and
   schema.org - where in the report it should be discussed [recorded in
   [59]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minu
   tes.html#action03]
   [DONE] ACTION: Jeff to review
   [60]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_recommendations_
   page for next week [recorded in
   [61]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action12]
   [DONE] ACTION: Jodi to send email about Scope statement [recorded in
   [62]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05]
   [DONE] ACTION: Tom to ask Hideaki or Dickson to review
   [63]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits recorded in
   [64]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06]
   [DONE] ACTION: Tom to send email to the LOD-LAM participants and
   create a final version of the presentation [recorded in
   [65]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/26-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01]

     [53] http://www.w3.org/2011/06/16-lld-minutes.html#action12
     [54]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action15
     [55]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minutes.html
#action02
     [56]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits#.22Library_Linked_Dat
a.22:_Scope_of_this_report
     [57]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action04
     [58]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/03/24-lld-minutes.html
#action01
     [59]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/06/09-lld-minutes.html
#action03
     [60]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Draft_recommendations_page
     [61]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action12
     [62]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action05
     [63] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Benefits
     [64]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/19-lld-minutes.html
#action06
     [65]
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/05/26-lld-minutes.html
#action01

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [66]scribe.perl version 1.136
    ([67]CVS log)
    $Date: 2011/06/22 19:50:21 $

     [66] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [67] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 22 June 2011 20:03:14 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 22 June 2011 20:03:14 GMT