W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > January 2011

Minutes of 2011-01-27 LLD meeting

From: Peter Murray <peter.murray@lyrasis.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 17:29:04 -0500
To: public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
Message-ID: <1398AD83-4140-42B4-8E69-426636566599@lyrasis.org>
The minutes from today's call are at:

  http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/27-lld-minutes.html

The text version is appended below.


   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                LLD XG

27 Jan 2011

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jan/0144.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/27-lld-irc

Attendees

   Present
          TomB, antoine, emma, markva, pmurray, rsinger, Asaf, uldis,
          GordonD, marcia, michaelp, jneubert, edsu, felix, kcoyle,
          kefo

   Regrets
          Kim, Jeff, Guenther, Alexander, Lars, Kai, Jodi, William, Ray

   Chair
          Tom

   Scribe
          pmurray

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Admin
         2. [6]Final Report Draft
     * [7]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <antoine> Previous:
   [8]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/20-lld-minut
   es.html

      [8] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/20-lld-minutes.html

Admin

   RESOLUTION: Accept the minutes (after clean up) at
   [9]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/20-lld-minut
   es.html

      [9] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/20-lld-minutes.html

Final Report Draft

   <TomB>
   [10]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jan/0148.h
   tml

     [10] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jan/0148.html

   TomB: Posted a message to the list with a draft outline of the final
   report.
   ... propose that we go through the draft as listed in the e-mail.
   ... walk through the outline of the final report to see how the
   pieces of the wiki documents fit into the outline
   ... for all of the documents ask if the document has served its
   purpose -- should it be dropped, integrated into the draft report,
   used as a separate deliverable, or kept as is.
   ... when we decide something should be integrated into the draft, if
   we have sections of text that are done, that we should move them
   into the draft report
   ... we can discuss if that is the best way to do it as the report
   gets longer.
   ... when we start to put things into the final report that we assign
   people to review different sections.
   ... until now we have had curators present their work. it would be
   helpful to read each others sections to bring in new perspectives
   and reviewing from different standpoints.
   ... hopefully we will all be familiar with the contents of the
   report in the end.
   ... suggest that we start with the e-mail at
   [11]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jan/0148.h
   tml
   ... use clusters as the basis of the "state of the art" section

     [11] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2011Jan/0148.html

   <Zakim> emma, you wanted to suggest to review the main sections of
   the draft report

   emma: Suggest that we start reviewing the main sections of the
   report to make sure we agree with them

   TomB: Suggests focusing on what we have and then come back to the
   outline to see what needs to be put in.
   ... seeking updates on the clusters.

   emma: Archives cluster: Nothing further on the Archives cluster.
   Work is almost done.
   ... keeping the action open to remember to review it one last time.

   GordonD: Bibliographic cluster: is finished. Minor adjustments due
   to the late use cases.

   edsu: Citations cluster: Kai had some ideas for taking it further to
   make things better, but unsure how far he intends to go.

   GordonD: Collections cluster: done in a week or two.

   markva: Digital Objects: still finishing up. Needs help with some of
   the use case shepherds for suggesting things.

   uldis: Social Uses: deadline is Feb 15th to receive suggested use
   cases.

   antoine: Vocabulary alignment: still not finished. Most of the work
   is editorial. Have decided on a way to distribute the work
   yesterday.
   ... Have something on the middle of next week or the week after
   that.

   TomB: We have lots of wiki pages that might be integrated into the
   final report or delivered as separate documents
   ... any thoughts on how the vocabularies page might be developed
   into a section of the final report?

   <markva> which one, two called "vocabulary"

   <Asaf> I think a list of Vocabs would not be as useful as specific
   recommendations in the context of specific scenarios.

   emma: include the defitintions that we have created
   ... vocabularies section was thought to list the vocabularies that
   we find we are using
   ...
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Library_terminology_informally_ex
   plained
   ... list of vocabularies included in the use cases is a long list

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Library_terminology_informally_explained

   <marcia> or put them in an appendix

   emma: use the definitions to say that there are these types and
   include examples

   <markva> +1 asaf, emma

   emma: for the report

   TomB: Need a placeholder in the report that points to the
   vocabularies page

   <GordonD> +1 marcia - put snapshot list of vocabularies in use in an
   appendix?

   TomB: as we get further along, we need owners for sections so we can
   have a crack at making stylistic decisions of when do we have lists,
   when do we cut material, do we put lists in appendices, putting text
   in the main report

   antoine: suggests putting a snapshot of the vocabularies list in the
   appendix

   TomB: suggests that where we have lists of things that we put effort
   into compiling those lists for the report
   ... if we decide the appendix is not useful, we can cut it

   <GordonD> Big question: who are we writing the report for?
   Knowledgeable parties? W3C? Librarians who are curious?

   <Asaf> Very big question. :)

   <emma> @GordonD : for "the community" ?

   <marcia> good question

   antoine: A bit of a mixture of all of these people.

   TomB: Another group is decision-makers in the library world. What
   direction to go in, where to invest resources, that sort of thing.

   <Asaf> I think the _obvious_ audience is high-level deciders about
   library technology. Those vary between orgs.

   <GordonD> Decision-makers need the snapshot!

   <Asaf> (but also: implementers or would-be implementers of any kind
   of library-related LOD project)

   antoine: All of this discussion on the audience may point that we
   need a short report that is an entry point to other things.

   <Asaf> Yes! Concise is good!

   <GordonD> +1 for concision

   <markva> +1

   antoine: what we currently see as the report focus on motivation,
   view of vocabularies

   <michaelp> Usually, a report would have an "executive summary" or 1
   or 2 pages for decision makers.

   <markva> Do we need some introduction / reading guide?

   <markva> To guide the diff type of readers?

   <marcia> +michaelp for executive summary

   <markva> +1 michaelp

   emma: Start by putting everything in one big draft and see what can
   then be extracted elsewhere

   <GordonD> One big draft that can be output in different forms for
   different audiences is a good idea!

   <marcia> +1

   <markva> need to identify the diff outputs then, sep wiki pages

   <scribe> ACTION: Antoine to include executive summary placeholder in
   report [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/27-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01]

   emma: Continuing where TomB left off, the next entry in the draft
   report is the [14]http://ckan.net/group/lld
   ... TomB suggests in his e-mail summarizing this as section 3.2 of
   the report

     [14] http://ckan.net/group/lld

   edsu: Does anyone know if very many library data sets have been
   tagged in CKAN?

   emma: Current state has 18 packages.

   antoine: Tagged 10 of them himself. Need to be mindful of
   registering other vocabularies

   <edsu> nice :-)

   <GordonD> I will recommend to IFLA that the CKAN stuff is kept up to
   date for IFLA vocabularies, etc.

   <emma> [15]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Goals

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Goals

   emma: Next page is the page of goals. Not sure we need to keep it in
   the report as it was an aid for creating use cases.

   markva: Doesn't think the page itself contains much text that would
   be useful in the report. It was useful to create coherent text of
   the use cases. Maybe could use the ideas someplace in the report,
   but no concrete suggestions.

   emma: Idea was to have common idea between the clusters to extract
   for the use case clusters.

   <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to discuss an "exec summary" on UCs?

   antoine: the page could be a good list of reminders for introducing
   the section on use cases. an executive summary style of what linked
   data would do in terms of applications.
   ... one sentence that digested the ideas.
   ... we could have something in the same spirit to make relationships
   and exploit them.

   <GordonD> +1 for folding Goals into Exec summary/overview of use
   cases

   <scribe> ACTION: emma to put the Goals page content at the beginning
   of the use case section [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/27-lld-minu
   tes.html#action02]

   <kefo> apologies - weather delay

   <emma>
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Library_terminology_informally_ex
   plained

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/Library_terminology_informally_explained

   emma: Next page is library terminology informally explained
   ... terms that are relevant to library and linked data world.
   ... include in the final report as a link? Notes that it is on the
   community wiki, not the group wiki.

   <kcoyle> i think that was for our use

   <GordonD> +1 include as link/appendix

   kcoyle: Suggests that the purpose was so that we could communicate
   among ourselves, and not for the final report.

   <antoine> I think there should be a freezed version

   emma: Only include the vocabulary part in the final report.

   <emma>
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_
   linked_data

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_linked_data

   emma: Gordon's review library standards of linked data

   <emma>
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_Data_Resources

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_Data_Resources

   emma: and this other page. There is overlap between the two.

   <kcoyle> this could be an appendix

   emma: the page that GordonD created is interesting. At the
   face-to-face meeting we talked about including it in the report.
   Maybe in the vocabulary section.
   ... the second page was intended as the internal work of the group.

   <markva> overview of library standards really useful for semweb
   readers

   GordonD: The overlap between the two is only in the first half of
   the library standards and linked data page.
   ... the page is deliberately in two parts. Sections 1-4 should be
   conflated with the library data resources page.
   ... the second half was intended as a stimulous for discussion by
   the group, but didn't have that effect.
   ... it might stimulate further discussion beyond the life of the
   final report.

   <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to comment on splitting the page?

   antoine: could we split GordonD's page?

   GordonD: No objections to splitting the page. It would be valuble to
   integrate the first part.
   ... would like for this group to have at least one session
   discussing the open questions in the second half of the page.

   <markva> seems to overlap with Problems and Limitations stuff

   <scribe> ACTION: As a future topic for a conference call, discuss
   the open questions in the second half of
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_
   linked_data [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/27-lld-minu
   tes.html#action03]

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_linked_data

   <scribe> ACTION: GordonD to split
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_
   linked_data and make recommendations on where to integrate into the
   final report [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/27-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04]

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_linked_data

   <antoine> @markva: yes, there is overlap! Gordon's page elaborates
   on some of the limitations.

   <emma> [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/TopicsDiscussed

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/TopicsDiscussed

   emma: We had the idea to work on this with wiki transclusion
   ... we probably have some of these topics in the draft report
   already
   ... the summary of the face to face is almost more relevant than
   this page

   <emma>
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F_Pittsburgh_Outcome
   s#Use_cases_.26_Topics_9:00-10:30_.2B_11:00-12:30

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/F2F_Pittsburgh_Outcomes#Use_cases_.26_Topics_9:00-10:30_.2B_11:00-12:30

   <markva> @antoine: but see no place in report where prob & lim stuff
   should go?

   <kcoyle> needs to be in there

   <markva> yes

   <kcoyle> that's probably what we most want to incubate around
   (sorry, lost phone, will just chat)

   <markva> +1 need new sec

   emma: create a new section in the report on problems and
   limitations?

   <marcia> +1 some generalized ones

   scribe: then we can go further with the recommendations

   <kcoyle> should be 1.4; before recommendations

   <scribe> ACTION: emma to add a 1.4 section (before recommendations)
   on problems and limitations [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/27-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05]

   <emma>
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Granularity_of_library
   _metadata

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Granularity_of_library_metadata

   GordonD: page is still under discussion with jodi and kcoyle
   ... what the page is intending to publish is quite imporant
   ... where it is heading is towards mixed granularity approach for
   libraries, with implications as to whether LLD helps
   ... perhaps this belongs in the problems/limitation section as a
   general environmental issue that might lead to problems/limitations
   ... suggests continue working on the page to include in this new
   problems/limitations section

   <kcoyle> +1

   GordonD: GordonD will come up with a suggestion on how to integrate
   it.

   <edsu> +1 seems like a good thing to include in the report

   <TomB> +1

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Antoine to include executive summary placeholder in
   report [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/27-lld-minu
   tes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: As a future topic for a conference call, discuss the
   open questions in the second half of
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_
   linked_data [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/27-lld-minu
   tes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: emma to add a 1.4 section (before recommendations) on
   problems and limitations [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/27-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: emma to put the Goals page content at the beginning of
   the use case section [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/27-lld-minu
   tes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: GordonD to split
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_
   linked_data and make recommendations on where to integrate into the
   final report [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2011/01/27-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04]

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_linked_data
     [33] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Library_standards_and_linked_data

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [35]scribe.perl version 1.135
    ([36]CVS log)
    $Date: 2011/01/27 18:35:50 $

     [35] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [36] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

--
Peter Murray         Peter.Murray@lyrasis.org        tel:+1-678-235-2955
Ass't Director, Technology Services Development   http://dltj.org/about/
Lyrasis   --    Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.
The Disruptive Library Technology Jester                http://dltj.org/
Attrib-Noncomm-Share   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/
Received on Thursday, 27 January 2011 22:29:39 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 27 January 2011 22:29:42 GMT