Re: Request for input for DO cluster on Problems/Limitations

On 25 Jan 2011, at 12:37, Mark van Assem wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having some trouble curating the Digital Objects section on Problems and Limitations [1].
>
> Could I ask the UC shepherds involved, Gordon, Antoine, "Andras" [2] (who is this?), Peter Murray, William, Uldis Bojars to help out?
>

>              ---- Enhanced Publications Cluster ----
>
> I had some contact with the owners of the UC I'm shepherding (Enhanced Publications), and they have problems which are hard to put directly in the DO Cluster page, because they are more generic.

Hmm. I think these issues you mention can be listed directly in the DO page as problems and limitations -- they seem quite similar to the other list of problems and limitations we've seen.

I don't think that generic is a problem in this case.

> Summary from a long email in Dutch:
>
> - which URIs to use for e.g. persons, objects, organizations
> - little knowledge on SemWeb tech, hard to get trained personnel
> - SemWeb tools are not mature, minimalist, spartan
>
> - bad quality of ontologies like FOAF; things missing or strangely implemented
> - inverse properties missing; makes it difficult to display info on an object
> - overlap in ontologies; which to use?
> - missing properties -> islands of unconnected groups of resources.
>
> I will ask them to provide some more details.

I'm not sure that further details are going to help us; these problems seem common and clear.

-Jodi