Re: Request for input for DO cluster on Problems/Limitations

Hi,

I'd agree with Jodi: the items below were not that bad, and quite relevant for the two cases (Digital Text Repository and Publishing 20th Century Press Archives) I am shepherding.
If you want to add stuff, here's the result of my thinking about it (not so much edited)

Missing Vocabularies

Data incompatibilities or lacks

  * Use cases that look similar focus in fact on different items (books vs. work)
  * Not a lack, but abundance of data!
   * Many vocabularies (value vocabularies and metadata element sets alike) to manipulate : cases address categories (usual persons, places, subjects, but also stuff like technical aspects of digitization results)
   * Complex data (hierarchical objects)
  -> creates barriers for end users and implementers (development cost on top of complex data per se, computational cost at run-time, figuring out what to present users with)

Community guidance/organization issues

  * Choice of relevant datasets/value vocabularies to perform data enrichment through linking
  * Ability of users to perform such linking in an efficient way
  * Persistence of external sources used inlinking

Technology availability/questions
  * difficulty to represent order in RDF (a crucial point of aggregates)
  * provenance is needed when it comes to sharing data (as these cases aggregate data from other sources, some of it may find their way in the data they re-distribute)
  * Availability and performance of automatic linking tools (cf Vocabulary alignment cluster)
  * Mapping from RDF data to other formats (e.g. METS-MODS XML) used by modultes using in composite environments
  * Creating/re-using identifiers that are consensual in broad communities

Of course UC owners (Asaf and Joachim) are welcome to send feedback!

Antoine