Re: YouTube video?

From: Jodi Schneider <jodi.schneider@deri.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 07:10:44 -0800
Cc: "gordon@gordondunsire.com" <gordon@gordondunsire.com>, public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>, Joe Provenzano <provenzano@wis.edu>
To: Thomas Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>

On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:20, Thomas Baker wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 02:57:28PM -0500, Thomas Baker wrote:
>> Maybe the bottom of the screen could continually show a narrow
>> window of triples scrolling up and down, sometimes faster,
>> sometimes slower, pausing to highlight a subject here, finding
>> a matching object there. When a match is found, then, show the
>> match above the triples window by zooming out on the current
>> photo or book, placing it to the left, placing the object
>> on the right, adding a predicate between the two to describe
>> the connection.  Once this has been narrated, zoom in on the
>> object resource so that it takes up the whole screen while
>> triples resume scrolling in the window below in the search
>> for the next random or instructive connection.
>
> Hmm, maybe Subject, Predicate, and Object could
> spin, and stop, like the reels of a slot machine.

This image resonates with me!

> While they're spinning, they scroll through thousands
> of triples in a blur; when they stop, they lock in
> on one or more triples.  Instead of cherries and lemons,
> the reels could show thumbnail images, or the center
> reel could show a predicate.

Dan Chudnov has a nice presentation aimed at librarians called "better living through linking".

Particularly the example (slides 39-49, plus a "linked up" example in slide 60):
http://www.slideshare.net/dchud/tcdl-2009-keynote-better-living-through-linking/39

I think the overall message is one of islands of resources getting connected up. That will need to be made explicit with some map-like image, I think.

> If people want to keep the list focused on our real
> work I'd be happy to take this offline...

I think this *is* part of our real work. We've gotten far enough to storyboard it, I think. Can we make storyboarding, rather than the video, the planned outcome of *our* work, and trust that others will take it further, if we run out of time?

-Jodi