Re: YouTube video?

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 01:30:37 +0100
To: Jodi Schneider <jodi.schneider@deri.org>
CC: Thomas Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>, "gordon@gordondunsire.com" <gordon@gordondunsire.com>, public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>, Joe Provenzano <provenzano@wis.edu>
On 1/21/11 4:10 PM, Jodi Schneider wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:20, Thomas Baker wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 02:57:28PM -0500, Thomas Baker wrote:
>>> Maybe the bottom of the screen could continually show a narrow
>>> window of triples scrolling up and down, sometimes faster,
>>> sometimes slower, pausing to highlight a subject here, finding
>>> a matching object there. When a match is found, then, show the
>>> match above the triples window by zooming out on the current
>>> photo or book, placing it to the left, placing the object
>>> on the right, adding a predicate between the two to describe
>>> the connection. Once this has been narrated, zoom in on the
>>> object resource so that it takes up the whole screen while
>>> triples resume scrolling in the window below in the search
>>> for the next random or instructive connection.
>>
>> Hmm, maybe Subject, Predicate, and Object could
>> spin, and stop, like the reels of a slot machine.
>
> This image resonates with me!
>
>> While they're spinning, they scroll through thousands
>> of triples in a blur; when they stop, they lock in
>> on one or more triples. Instead of cherries and lemons,
>> the reels could show thumbnail images, or the center
>> reel could show a predicate.
>
> Dan Chudnov has a nice presentation aimed at librarians called "better living through linking".
>
> Particularly the example (slides 39-49, plus a "linked up" example in slide 60):
> http://www.slideshare.net/dchud/tcdl-2009-keynote-better-living-through-linking/39
>
> I think the overall message is one of islands of resources getting connected up. That will need to be made explicit with some map-like image, I think.
>>
>> If people want to keep the list focused on our real
>> work I'd be happy to take this offline...
>
> I think this *is* part of our real work. We've gotten far enough to storyboard it, I think. Can we make storyboarding, rather than the video, the planned outcome of *our* work, and trust that others will take it further, if we run out of time?

+1.
It was indeed the idea that if members of the XG would contribute anything, it would be rather the storyboard.

By the way I do find the new ideas interesting--I seem to remember Europeana had a video like that done once, where connections were being made between various unexpected objects--but would that be as easy for the kids&instructors from that school Tom had contact with? Hmm, seems we need a productor to synch all that ;-)