Re: YouTube video?

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 01:30:37 +0100
To: Jodi Schneider <jodi.schneider@deri.org>
CC: Thomas Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>, "gordon@gordondunsire.com" <gordon@gordondunsire.com>, public-xg-lld <public-xg-lld@w3.org>, Joe Provenzano <provenzano@wis.edu>
On 1/21/11 4:10 PM, Jodi Schneider wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2011, at 12:20, Thomas Baker wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 02:57:28PM -0500, Thomas Baker wrote:
>>> Maybe the bottom of the screen could continually show a narrow
>>> window of triples scrolling up and down, sometimes faster,
>>> sometimes slower, pausing to highlight a subject here, finding
>>> a matching object there. When a match is found, then, show the
>>> match above the triples window by zooming out on the current
>>> photo or book, placing it to the left, placing the object
>>> on the right, adding a predicate between the two to describe
>>> the connection. Once this has been narrated, zoom in on the
>>> object resource so that it takes up the whole screen while
>>> triples resume scrolling in the window below in the search
>>> for the next random or instructive connection.
>> Hmm, maybe Subject, Predicate, and Object could
>> spin, and stop, like the reels of a slot machine.
> This image resonates with me!
>> While they're spinning, they scroll through thousands
>> of triples in a blur; when they stop, they lock in
>> on one or more triples. Instead of cherries and lemons,
>> the reels could show thumbnail images, or the center
>> reel could show a predicate.
> Dan Chudnov has a nice presentation aimed at librarians called "better living through linking".
> Particularly the example (slides 39-49, plus a "linked up" example in slide 60):
> http://www.slideshare.net/dchud/tcdl-2009-keynote-better-living-through-linking/39
> I think the overall message is one of islands of resources getting connected up. That will need to be made explicit with some map-like image, I think.
>> If people want to keep the list focused on our real
>> work I'd be happy to take this offline...
> I think this *is* part of our real work. We've gotten far enough to storyboard it, I think. Can we make storyboarding, rather than the video, the planned outcome of *our* work, and trust that others will take it further, if we run out of time?

It was indeed the idea that if members of the XG would contribute anything, it would be rather the storyboard.

By the way I do find the new ideas interesting--I seem to remember Europeana had a video like that done once, where connections were being made between various unexpected objects--but would that be as easy for the kids&instructors from that school Tom had contact with? Hmm, seems we need a productor to synch all that ;-)