Re: vocabs, metadata set, datasets

A very interesting point, Jeff.

I'd say that appearing as subject of foaf:focus is a good sign of being a value vocabulary. But this restricts it to skos:Concepts, as skos:Concept is the domain of foaf:focus. And I guess some peple (including you!) would like skos-xl:Labels to be potentially counted as elements of (some) value vocabularies.

Another issue, I think we must leave it open, whether appearing as object of foaf:focus bars from counting as value vocabulary element.
Let's consider in VIAF an instance of foaf:Person is the foaf:focus of some skos:Concept.
I can imagine that some cases (the rather library-oriented) will like to pick the instance of skos:Concept as, say, the dc:subject of a given book . But I can also imagine other choices (more "traditional Linked Data" in their vision?) where the instance of foaf:Person would be used directly as the object of their dc:subject statement. In that latter case the value vocabulary is made of the instances of foaf:Person.
In fact we could consider that VIAF is a value vocabulary with several (interconnected) type facets ("sub-vocabularies"), in which applications can pick their "values" from as they see fit. And that's a consequence of your data design I like very much.

Antoine