W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > June 2010

Re: Minutes of 2010-06-10 LLD meeting

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:07:56 +0200
Message-ID: <4C12433C.2090809@few.vu.nl>
To: public-xg-lld@w3.org, public-lld@w3.org

> Hi everyone,
>
> The minutes taken by Jon this week are available at:
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minutes.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> Antoine


Following W3C practice, text version follows:

====

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                 LLD XG

10 Jun 2010

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jun/0035.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/06/10-lld-irc

Attendees

    Present
           antoine, Tom, jeff, kai, +0789798aaaa, jodi, jneubert,
           michaelp, +0361279aacc, +03315379aadd, emmanuelle_, andras,
           JonP, ray, rsinger, kim, alexander, edsu, [IPcaller],
           fsasaki, ahoughton, ww, +1.330.289.aaee, Oreste, marcia,
           GordonD, +049238aaff, Nico

    Regrets
           Bernard, Carlo, Andras, Dickson, Jonathan, Fumiihiro,
           Wolfgang, Felix, Stu, Michael

    Chair
           Tom

    Scribe
           JonP

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Administrative
          2. [6]Use Cases
          3. [7]Karen Demo
          4. [8]Next steps
          5. [9]telecons
          6. [10]summer telecons
          7. [11]Face 2 face
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________

    <TomB> Previous:
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html

    <mhausenblas> I have to send last minutes regrets, sorry

    <ww> could someone remind me of the keybindings for mute/unmute?

    <jodi> ww: Conferees can mute themselves by dialing 61#. In that
    case, unmute is 60#.

    <jodi> ww: from [14]http://www.w3.org/2001/12/zakim-irc-bot

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2001/12/zakim-irc-bot

    <ww> jodi: ty

    <digikim> hello

    <digikim> ok, I just called in

    <digikim> Kim Viljanen

    <TomB> Scribe: JonP

    <TomB> Scribenick: JonP

    <digikim> (first time using this + first time calling with skype to
    ordinary phone so still learning + first time installed skype on
    this new computer, so configuration not done) :)

    <AlexanderH> 61#

    [15]http://www.mibbit.com/chat/#lld@irc.w3.org:6665

      [15] http://www.mibbit.com/chat/#lld@irc.w3.org:6665

    <edsu> JonP: tweet it

    <Nico> hi everyone

    <jodi> Or -- with the channel Mibbit direct link to share with those
    not on IRC:
    [16]http://www.mibbit.com/chat/?server=irc.w3.org:6665&channel=%23ll
    d

      [16] http://www.mibbit.com/chat/?server=irc.w3.org:6665&channel=%23lld

    <Nico> I'm trying to join telecon :)

    <digikim> I'm using [17]http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc -- working
    ok (didn't have time to join by my ordinary irc client)

      [17] http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc

    <digikim> must I mute myself also from the phone conference system
    or is skype mute enough?

    <kai> if your line is not noisy, skype mute should be ok

    <digikim> kai: ok, great

Administrative

    RESOLUTION: accept minutes of previous telecon

    <Nico> I can't join the conference room

    <jodi> Those minutes are here btw:
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html

      [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html

    <antoine> [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Telecons

      [19] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Telecons

    Antoine: discussing generated minutes process

    <Nico> code has changed since last week ?

    TomB: Part of our routine should be to include a link in the minutes
    to the wiki page
    ... Introductions redux

    <digikim> I was not

    <jodi> yes, I was here last time

    <ahoughton> Andrew Houghton, OCLC

    <digikim> hello all & world :)

    <kai> I was here but did not introduce myself

    <antoine> William: Open knowledge foundation

    <GordonD> i.m currently working with rdf representations of frbr,
    frad and isbd (ifla standards) and rda, vmf and other related stuff
    - i'm also a practicing cataloguer of 25 years experience

    <jneubert> Joachim Neubert, German National Library of Economics

    <jodi> (please add to action items -- "send introduction to
    listserv" -- and specify which one ;) )

    TomB: mailing lists

    <gneher> Guenther Neher, Universitiy of Applied Sciences Potsdam,
    interested in educational aspects

    <digikim> Kim Viljanen, Aalto University (Helsinki, Finland);
    interested in Linked Open Data; ontology repositories; our research
    group has been working on e.g. cultural heritage, health,
    government, etc etc + ontologies + apps + etc

    TomB: 2 lists, one specifically focused on the work of the XG

    <digikim> [20]http://www.seco.tkk.fi (our research group: Semantic
    Computing Research Group SeCo)

      [20] http://www.seco.tkk.fi/

    <Nico> yes I am in

    TomB: the other is completely open for community participation
    ... cross-posting is encouraged

    <scribe> ACTION: All group members should please post and
    introduction to
    [21]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minu
    tes.html#action01]

      [21] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld

    <antoine> ACTION: Antoine to clean up mailing list on
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/ recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html#action01] [CONTINUES]

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/
      [24] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action01

    <digikim> :)

    <digikim> who is an experienced scribent?

    TomB: scribing duties will rotate. Everyone scribes unless Tom
    grants an indulgence

Use Cases

    <jodi> Here is said email:
    [25]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jun/0040.h
    tml

      [25] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Jun/0040.html

    Antoine: sent a message to start the process of gathering use cases

    <digikim> (antoine's sound is slightly distorted... difficult to
    hear...)

    <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to add actions

    <digikim> I can hear you

    Antoine: key is feedback from the broader community for
    incorporation into the use case document

    <Zakim> jneubert, you wanted to ask about the type of use cases

    jneubert: challenging or typical use cases?

    Antoine: both -- open to both kinds

    <Zakim> emmanuelle_, you wanted to ask about use case methodology

    Antoine: We will write the use cases ourselves based on gathered use
    cases from the community

    <TomB> Semantic Web Usage Cases:
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/sweo/public/UseCases/

    emmanuelle_: should the use cases follow the form of the semantic
    web use cases

    <Zakim> TomB, you wanted to suggest that SWEO use cases might set
    the bar too high

    Antoine: we should focus on use cases more specific to our community

    TomB: the SWEO use cases are quite polished
    ... and may be more than we need
    ... we want to capture work in progress, as problems emerge, and are
    simpler/shorter than SWEO

    <ahoughton> +1

    <jeff> +1

    <oreste> +1

    <gneher> +1

    <fsasaki> +1

    Antoine: consensus seems to be emerging :-)

    <edsu> +1

    <jneubert> i'd love to contribute

    <GordonD> i am happy to contribute some embryonic use cases

    michaelp: contributing or curating use cases?

    <kcoyle> [27]http://dublincore.org/dcmirdataskgroup/ has some
    cataloging use cases/ site seems down

      [27] http://dublincore.org/dcmirdataskgroup/

    <digikim> Antoine: I would be interested, but I'm not yet completely
    sure about the goals of this XG (first meeting for me today)

    <Nico> Do we focus on library use cases or "border lines" are
    accepted too ?

    Antoine: it depends on who is interested. We should first determine
    who will be performing the editor role

    <TomB> [28]http://dublincore.org/dcmirdataskgroup/ is available

      [28] http://dublincore.org/dcmirdataskgroup/

    <jodi> kai++ framing details useful

    <Zakim> kai, you wanted to recommend as first step some framing
    details about the use cases to gather

    <GordonD> Has the bristol bridge gone down - I've been cut off

    Antoine: it would seem that the XG wouldn't restrict the use cases
    initially

    <oreste> I think we should emphasize the usefulness of Linked Data
    in multidisciplinary approach. In this sense, border line UC should
    be considered

    <TomB> +1 that the first step should be to define the framework for
    use cases

    <emmanuelle_> +1

    <Andras> Gordon: I am also using Bristol

    kai: we should decide whether we want to create a template for
    submitted use cases
    ... as a first step. There is one that could be used from the Prov
    XG

    <jodi> oreste++ very interested in supporting collaboration outside
    library+obvious partners

    <ww> GordonD: I am on the bristol bridge, no problems here

    <scribe> ACTION: Antoine and Kai to prepare a template for use
    cases. Kai to contibute a template from the provenance group
    [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minu
    tes.html#action03]

    Antoine: is the timeline in the agenda acceptable?

    <AlexanderH> +1

    TomB: suggest we consider this a strawman timeline and refine as we
    go

    <jeff> +1

    <kai> +1

Karen Demo

    <digikim> +1

    karen: we need something that we can use to take the lld work on the
    road

    KCoyle: looking to create some visualizations and presentations

    <rsinger> can you reuse things on slideshare?

    <rsinger> i mean, individual slides...

    TomB: Powerpoint? First step is to create a wiki page and upload
    existing presentations

    <kai> +1 for openoffice

    <edsu> yeah, maybe not ... i guess just putting them on the wiki is
    fine

    <AlexanderH> you can download slides as registered user

    TomB: an opportunity to create public slides, Creative Commons
    attribution to this group

    <jodi> edsu: I think putting them on the wiki, and copying elsewhere
    (e.g. slideshare) would be useful

    <edsu> it's a really good idea

    <oreste> openoffice or slidy (and having a pdf version, too)

    <antoine> I wonder whether slideshare license policy is compatible
    with W3C one

    <scribe> ACTION: TomB and KCoyle will create a page for
    presentations and will upload some slides [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minu
    tes.html#action04]

    <edsu> so i don't have to make any slides for my presentation next
    week :-)

    <rsinger> edsu++ # that was my plan, too

    <jodi> ah, slidy is awesome:
    [31]http://www.w3.org/Talks/Tools/Slidy/ -- can link to particular
    slides

      [31] http://www.w3.org/Talks/Tools/Slidy/

    <ww> jodi: +1

    <edsu> rsinger: ok we've got laziness down, now we just need some
    hubris and impatience :-)

    KCoyle: presentations in multiple formats, multiple languages, some
    simpler than others
    ... trying to present familiar information in an unfamiliar way

Next steps

    <jodi> wiki page:
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics

      [32] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics

    TomB: we have a wiki page that is a brain dump of relevant topics
    ... everyone should feel free to use the wiki to add items to the
    list
    ... we should be looking to consolidate some of these items into
    task groups

telecons

    TomB: we should hold June telecons even though it can be tough for
    some of us

summer telecons

    TomB: there's a doodle link for people to indicate availability for
    July and August

    <digikim> Antoine: +1

    <scribe> ACTION: ALL: Flag July/August availability at
    [33]http://www.doodle.com/hvwb4fe4x2kdq3cy recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html#action03] [CONTINUES]

      [33] http://www.doodle.com/hvwb4fe4x2kdq3cy
      [34] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action03

    <edsu> only a handful of people on
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Topics
    &action=history

      [35] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Topics&action=history

    <antoine> ACTION: ALL: Edit the topics for our work at the wiki:
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics recorded in
    [37]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html#action02] [CONTINUES]

      [36] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics
      [37] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action02

    <edsu> tbaker, ebermes, mzeng, jschneider, jneubert

    <jeff> +1

    <antoine> +1

    <rsinger> +1

    <ww> +1

    <emmanuelle_> +1

    <kai> +1

    <digikim> +1

    <AlexanderH> +1

    <scribe> ACTION: ALL: members of the XG please add your name to the
    topics list to indicate where their interests lie [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minu
    tes.html#action07]

Face 2 face

    <digikim> is the travel costs funded by W3C or our own
    organizations? (newbie question)

    <antoine> no :-(

    <antoine> it should be your own org

    <digikim> ok

    TOMB: propose meeting be held Saturday and Sunday 2324 October in
    Pittsburgh

    <antoine> ... but we link it to a nice motivating pair of
    conferences :-)

    <digikim> antoine: yep, noticed :)

    <jodi> colocated with ASIST: [39]http://www.asis.org/asist2010/ and
    DC2010: [40]http://www.asis.org/Conferences/DC2010/

      [39] http://www.asis.org/asist2010/
      [40] http://www.asis.org/Conferences/DC2010/

    <Zakim> antoine, you wanted to comment on SWIB conf

    <scribe> ACTION: ALL: group members please indicate your
    availability for the proposed F2F meeting in a Doodle poll:
    [41]http://www.doodle.com/gaipzmfc7xp9f4zq recorded in
    [42]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minu
    tes.html#action08]

      [41] http://www.doodle.com/gaipzmfc7xp9f4zq

    <edsu> shoot, overlaps with ipres this year

    <kcoyle> the one in koln?

    <TomB> edsu, when is ipres?

    <digikim> Antoine: SWIB 2010 would be good meeting place

    <kai> +1 for SWIB

    <jodi> SWIB 2010:
    [43]http://swib.org/swib10/e_call-for-participation.html

      [43] http://swib.org/swib10/e_call-for-participation.html

    <kai> Someone on JCDL/ICALD?

    <edsu> +1 for SWIB as parallel venue

    <digikim> (antoine: no I was trying to suggest ISWC as an additional
    possibility)

    <Andras> or ECDL 2010: [44]http://www.ecdl2010.org/ ?

      [44] http://www.ecdl2010.org/

    <fsasaki> +1 for SWIB as well

    <edsu> whew, thanks :-)

    <ww> +1 swib

    <emmanuelle_> no overlap with IPRES, its in september

    <rsinger> can there be more options of dates in that week?

    <rsinger> i mean, more aligned with DC2010 than ASIST?

    TomB: we can explore alternative options to Pittsburgh in addition
    to indicating availability
    ... upcoming topics

    <kcoyle> +1 swib

    Community building and outreach:
    [45]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/RelatedGroups

      [45] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/RelatedGroups

    <digikim> thank you & bye

    Assessment of technology pieces and vocabularies:
    [46]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Technology

      [46] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Technology

    <ww> thank you everyone.

    <edsu> no reason why we can't stay on the irc channel :-)

    <oreste> bye bye

    <edsu> if things come up, and you sit at a computer all day

    <hvdsomp> +1 for SWIB. this group should present there.

    [adjourned]

    <hvdsomp> -hvdsomp

    <antoine> ACTION: ALL: Flag July/August availability at
    [47]http://www.doodle.com/hvwb4fe4x2kdq3cy recorded in
    [48]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html#action03] [CONTINUES]

      [47] http://www.doodle.com/hvwb4fe4x2kdq3cy
      [48] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action03

    <hvdsomp> Zakim -hvdsomp

    <jodi> bye :)

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: All group members should please post an introduction
    to [49]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld recorded
    in
    [50]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minu
    tes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: ALL: group members please indicate your availability
    for the proposed F2F meeting in a Doodle poll:
    [51]http://www.doodle.com/gaipzmfc7xp9f4zq recorded in
    [52]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minu
    tes.html#action08]
    [NEW] ACTION: ALL: members of the XG please add your name to the
    topics list to indicate where their interests lie [recorded in
    [53]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minu
    tes.html#action07]
    [NEW] ACTION: Antoine and kai to prepare a template for use cases.
    Kai to contibute a template from the provenance group [recorded in
    [54]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minu
    tes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: TomB and KCoyle will create a page for presentations
    and will upload some slides [recorded in
    [55]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/10-lld-minu
    tes.html#action04]

      [49] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld
      [51] http://www.doodle.com/gaipzmfc7xp9f4zq

    [PENDING] ACTION: ALL: Edit the topics for our work at the wiki:
    [56]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics recorded in
    [57]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html#action02]
    [PENDING] ACTION: ALL: Flag July/August availability at
    [58]http://www.doodle.com/hvwb4fe4x2kdq3cy recorded in
    [59]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html#action03]
    [PENDING] ACTION: Antoine to clean up mailing list on
    [60]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/ recorded in
    [61]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minu
    tes.html#action01]

      [56] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Topics
      [57] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action02
      [58] http://www.doodle.com/hvwb4fe4x2kdq3cy
      [59] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action03
      [60] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/
      [61] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/06/03-lld-minutes.html#action01

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [62]scribe.perl version 1.135
     ([63]CVS log)
     $Date: 2010/06/11 13:21:22 $

      [62] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [63] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Friday, 11 June 2010 14:08:32 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 11 June 2010 14:08:32 GMT