Re: Input on action "understanding UC approach better"

All

Again after a first pass, note that IFLA (International Federation of Library
Associations and Institutions) has developed sets of user tasks in relation to
bibliographic metadata, as part of the Functional Requirements family (the three
models cited below - work on consoliding these into a single functional
requirements model has already begun, although FRSAD has not yet been
finalised):

>From Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR)
(http://www.ifla.org/en/publications/functional-requirements-for-bibliographic-records
):

to find[bibliographic] entities that correspond to the user’s stated search
criteria (i.e., to locate either a single entity or a set of entities in a file
or database as the result of a search using an attribute or relationship of the
entity);

to identifyan entity (i.e., to confirm that the entity described corresponds to
the entity sought, or to distinguish between two or more entities with similar
characteristics);

to selectan entity that is appropriate to the user’s needs (i.e., to choose an
entity that meets the user’s requirements with respect to content, physical
format, etc., or to reject an entity as being inappropriate to the user’s
needs);

to acquire or obtainaccess to the entity described (i.e., to acquire an entity
through purchase, loan, etc., or to access an entity electronically through an
online connection to a remote computer).

>From Functional Requirements for Authority Data (FRAD)
(http://www.ifla.org/en/publications/functional-requirements-for-authority-data)
:

Functional Requirements for Bibliographic RecordsFRBR (Conceptual model)IFLA
Study Group on the Functional Requirements for Bibliographic
Records12.00Normal0falsefalsefalseEN-GBX-NONEX-NONEMicrosoftInternetExplorer4
Findan entity or set of entities corresponding to stated criteria (i.e., to find
either a single entity or a set of entities using an attribute or combination of
attributes or a relationship of the entity as the search criteria); or to
explore the universe of bibliographic entities using those attributes and
relationships.

Identifyan entity (i.e., to confirm that the entity represented corresponds to
the entity sought, to distinguish between two or more entities with similar
characteristics) or to validate the form of name to be used for a controlled
access point.

Contextualise: Place a person, corporate body, work, etc., in context; clarify
the relationship between two or more persons, corporate bodies, works, etc.; or
clarify the relationship between a person, corporate body, etc., and a name by
which that person, corporate body, etc., is known (e.g., name used in religion
versus secular name).

Justify:Document the authority data creator’s reason for choosing the name or
form of name on which a controlled access point is based.

>From Functional Requirements for Subject Authority Data (FRSAD)
(http://www.ifla.org/en/node/1297)

Findone or more subjects and/or their appellations, that correspond(s) to the
user’s stated criteria, using attributes and relationships;

Identifya subject and/or its appellation based on their attributes or
relationships (i.e., to distinguish between two or more subjects or appellations
with similar characteristics and to confirm that the appropriate subject or
appellation has been found);

Selecta subject and/or its appellation appropriate to the user’s needs (i.e., to
choose or reject based on the user's requirements and needs);

Explorerelationships between subjects and/or their appellations (e.g., to
explore relationships in order to understand the structure of a subject domain
and its terminology).

Cheers

Gordon