W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > December 2010

Minutes of 2010-12-09 LLD meeting

From: Young,Jeff (OR) <jyoung@oclc.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 15:35:48 -0500
Message-ID: <52E301F960B30049ADEFBCCF1CCAEF590AB33DA4@OAEXCH4SERVER.oa.oclc.org>
To: "public-xg-lld" <public-xg-lld@w3.org>
The minutes of our call today are at http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/09-lld-minutes.html.


A text version follows.

Jeff

====

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/


                                LLD XG

09 Dec 2010

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Dec/0030.html


   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/12/09-lld-irc


Attendees

   Present
          antoine, emma, aconstan, Jodi, jeff_, rsinger, AlexanderH,
          asaf, ww, kcoyle, edsu, kefo, rayd, gneher, uldis, felix

   Regrets
          Anette, Gordon, Joachim, Jon, Kai, Kim, Lars, Marcia,
          Michael, Peter, Tom

   Chair
          Antoine

   Scribe
          Jeff

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]ADMIN
         2. [6]DRAFT OUTLINE FOR FINAL REPORT
         3. [7]USE CASES AND CASE STUDIES
         4. [8]OTHER WIKI PAGES - LINKS, GLOSSARIES...
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <antoine> Previous:
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minu

   tes.html

     [10] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html


   <antoine> Scribe: Jeff

   <antoine> scribenick: jeff_

ADMIN

   <antoine> previous call:
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minu

   tes.html

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html


   RESOLUTION: accept minutes of previous meeting

   <scribe> ACTION: Remove PAUL WALK'S TOOL AND ANALYSIS from Agenda
   [recorded in
   [12]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minu

   tes.html#action02] [DONE]

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action02


DRAFT OUTLINE FOR FINAL REPORT

   <scribe> ACTION: Antoine to add "LOD curriculum" into
   "recommendations" section of Outline, and benefits into an
   Introduction [recorded in
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minu

   tes.html#action03] [DONE]

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action03


   <antoine>
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=Runnin

   gAgenda&oldid=2306

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/index.php?title=RunningAgenda&oldid=2306


USE CASES AND CASE STUDIES

   antoine: This week's focus is on the archives cluster.

   <antoine>
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCases#Cluster:_Arch

   ives_and_heterogeneous_data

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCases#Cluster:_Archives_and_heterogeneous_data


   <emma>
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_Archives


     [16] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_Archives


   karen: The use cases for archive linked data include targeting other
   institutions. ... Linked Data can be used to facilitate consortia
   building.

   antoine: Is there overlap between library and archive data?

   emma: Yes, linked data can be used to federate access data across
   library archives and museums
   ... by relating items in generalized terms of "subject", "people",
   "places", etc.
   ... These broader terms allow archives to relate heterogeneous
   materials.

   karen: the connections between disparate things can be made in
   topical ways.

   <antoine> context?

   emma: the archives cluster is unusual because it is less concerned
   with common metadata vocabularies and more concerned about context.

   <marcia> +emma

   karen: Archives have different kinds of goals.

   <emma>
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_Archives


     [17] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_Archives


   emma: the cluster document includes goals and discussion from
   publisher and user POVs.
   ... DESCRIBE is about creating information
   ... SHARE is concerned with object descriptions beyond bibliographic
   items.
   ... The idea is to share information between insitutions as much as
   communicate with end users
   ... with a need to map or share common models across different
   domains.

   <antoine> +1 FEDERATE as a kind of DISCOVER/SEARCH

   emma: FEDERATE: is a form of DISCOVER over many sources and
   different domains.
   ... MANAGE: is different from discovery in the sense of professional
   use (e.g. library management).

   antoine: these goals seem to be higher levels than the other general
   goals that have been proposed.

   karen: the DESCRIBE goal is more of a cataloging function and seen
   as broader than identification.

   antoine: Does FEDERATE relate to AGGREGATE?
   ... is AGGREGATE a "means" for FEDERATE?

   <Asaf> there's federate, and there's federated search.

   karen: there are subtle differences in meaning

   <Asaf> to me, federate is the one-time establishing of an interface
   between two data stores, which would facilitate future federated
   searches.

   emma: These seem to be different perspectives ... on how related
   resources are clustered.

   Asaf: FEDERATE puts interface in place
   ... could be a federated SPARQL query

   karen: The difference between FEDERATE and AGGREGATE does need to be
   clearer.

   <Asaf> FEDERATE: offer search capability over mutiple data sources

   emma: FEDERATE assumes several stores and is thus different from
   AGGREGATE

   karen: Presumably both fall under search and discovery.

   antoine: AGGREGATE seems to be an act on its own.

   <marcia> federated seemed to target to make deep web documents
   searchable

   karen: FEDERATE is an action performed on more than one store.

   <marcia> those not on surface to be aggregated by, for example,
   search engines

   emma: The goals in this cluster may not align with general goals
   ... they seem to be higher-level

   <monica> one other way to define federate and aggregate is, federate
   is send a search term to remote source, and bring back only results,
   aggregate is to pool all possible metadata locally then do the
   search

   antoine: it seems OK to add these goals to the general list and
   worry about reconciling them later

   <marcia> I am in meeting

   <marcia> *in meeting all day

   <monica> that's a specific Z39.50 vs OAI-PMH distinction though so
   will probably apply to only a subset of our audiences

   antoine: marcia is invited to follow up via email

   <marcia> * OK.

   antoine: Moving on to cases, Europeana may fall into several of
   these use goals.

   emma: want to go through the concrete use cases again to make sure
   the mappings to various goals are accounted for.

   <marcia> *need to go now. Will folow up on email.

   antoine: all are encourage to send feedback

   emma: A template for curating clusters would help guide the
   development of the document.

   <emma> see citation cluster
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_Citations


     [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_Citations


   antoine: citation cluster is well aligned to suggestions last week
   ... 1) background
   ... 2) extracted use cases and scenarios
   ...3) relevant technologies and vocabularies ... but we need allow
   for some freedom
   ... it seems possible that all clusters could be aligned in this
   general direction, though.

   <edsu> kai: thanks

   <edsu> emma pasted above

   <antoine>
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_Citations


     [19] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Cluster_Citations


   <scribe> ACTION: Citation cluster group to place Google Docs
   document into XG Wiki [recorded in
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minu

   tes.html#action01] [DONE]

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action01


   ed: We tried to take Google docs and reformulate it into the Wiki
   ... scenarios section and a use case section
   ... vocabularies section
   ... and a section at the end for miscellaneous

   antoine: sections seem to align well with archives cluster

   ed: feedback is welcome

   <scribe> ACTION: Monica and JISC colleagues to introduce and discuss
   JISC work on next call [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minu

   tes.html#action02] [CONTINUES]

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action02


OTHER WIKI PAGES - LINKS, GLOSSARIES...

   antoine: what is the CKAN volunteer status?

   ww: when you create your account profile, you should fill in your
   name to make your identity clear.
   ... contact ww to volunteer your help as a curator.

   antoine: need more volunteers
   ... this will be a useful way to structure the community.

   <scribe> ACTION: Volunteers to send login information (openid
   credentials) to William Waite to curate LLD group on CKAN [recorded
   in [22]http://www.w3.org/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action04]
   [CONTINUES]

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action04


   <ww> kcoyle++

   karen: is there a tag to bring together bibliographic datasets?

   <edsu> thanks karen, i was missing that too :-)

   <jodi> maybe it's in ww's instructions?

   <jodi> I'm not sure--but if we choose one, let's add i there!

   <jodi> it

   karen: Is there a way to connect "linked" and "bibliographic"
   datasets?

   ww: We need a convention.
   ... The current intersection between bibliographic and linked is LLD
   ... There is a tool that checks properties to see if the resources
   are dereferencable. It would be better to mark them as such, though.

   <emma> twitter tag is lldata

   <Asaf> ww: is the tool world-accessible?

   <ww> [23]http://ckan.net/group/lld


     [23] http://ckan.net/group/lld


   <Asaf> thanks

   <ww> [24]http://packages.python.org/curate/


     [24] http://packages.python.org/curate/


   ww: The tool is still rough, but should get better.

   <edsu> sorry i missed the wiki page for instructions, i see the ckan
   group page links to
   [25]http://esw.w3.org/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/D

   ataSets/CKANmetainformation ?

     [25] http://esw.w3.org/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/DataSets/CKANmetainformation


   <jodi>
   [26]http://esw.w3.org/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkedLibraryData

   /Datasets/CKANmetainformation

     [26] http://esw.w3.org/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkedLibraryData/Datasets/CKANmetainformation


   <jodi>
   [27]http://esw.w3.org/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/D

   ataSets/CKANmetainformation

     [27] http://esw.w3.org/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData/DataSets/CKANmetainformation


   <jodi> someone needs to be tasked with coming up with a tag, I guess

   ww: The suggestion is that CKAN should inherit tags from others
   where possible and develop more specific ones as needed.

   RESOLUTION: need to tag dataset with LLD in CKAN and add it to the
   LLD group

   contact ww to become a curator by creating an account (indicating
   your real name) and asking him to add you.

   karen: how can we take existing sets and add them to our group?

   ww: They can be added to the LLD page. Instructions to follow...

   antoine: That's all for this week. Meeting ajourned.

   <jodi> bye!

   <edsu> cheers

   <aconstan> bye

   <monica> bye

Summary of Action Items

   [PENDING] ACTION: Volunteers to send login information (openid
   credentials) to William Waite to curate LLD group on CKAN [recorded
   in [28]http://www.w3.org/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action04]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Monica and JISC colleagues to introduce and
   discuss JISC work on next call [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minu

   tes.html#action02]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Monica and JISC colleagues to introduce and
   discuss JISC work on next call [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minu

   tes.html#action02]
   [PENDING] ACTION: volunteers to send login information to william
   waite to curate CKAN [recorded in
   [31]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minu

   tes.html#action04]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Jeff to write one or two paragraphs on VIAF design
   discussions [recorded in
   [32]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/18-lld-minu

   tes.html#action06]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Karen and Emma to curate archive cluster for end
   of december [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action02]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Antoine and Michael to curate vocabulary alignment
   cluster for end of december [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action07]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Gordon and Martin to curate bibliographic data
   cluster for end of december [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action05]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Jeff and Alexander to curate authority data
   cluster for end of december [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action06]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Kai and Ed to curate citations cluster for end of
   december [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action03]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Mark (and Jodi and Asaf) to curate digital objects
   cluster for end of december [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minu

   tes.html#action04]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Alex, Jeff, Martin, MichaelP elaborate on general
   purpose IT architecture for dealing with linked data with caching
   feature [recorded in
   [39]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24‑lld‑minu

   tes.html#action04]
   [PENDING] ACTION: Emma and Antoine to create use case
   DATA.SEARCH-OPTIMIZATION [recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24‑lld‑minu

   tes.html#action06]
   [PENDING] ACTION: for each use case champion: on the Vocabularies
   page, link to each URL use case that uses it [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23‑lld‑minu

   tes.html#action01]
   [PENDING] ACTION: GordonD and Antoine to study use cases that relate
   to vocabulary merging use case [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24-lld-minu

   tes.html#action01]

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action04

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action02

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action02

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/25-lld-minutes.html#action04

     [32] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/11/18-lld-minutes.html#action06

     [33] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action02

     [34] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action07

     [35] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action05

     [36] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action06

     [37] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action03

     [38] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23-lld-minutes.html#action04

     [39] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24%E2%80%91lld%E2%80%91minutes.html#action04

     [40] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24%E2%80%91lld%E2%80%91minutes.html#action06

     [41] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/23%E2%80%91lld%E2%80%91minutes.html#action01

     [42] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/10/24-lld-minutes.html#action01


   [DONE] ACTION: Antoine to add "LOD curriculum" into
   "recommendations" section of Outline, and benefits into an
   Introduction [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minu

   tes.html#action03]
   [DONE] ACTION: Citation cluster group to place Google Docs document
   into XG Wiki [recorded in
   [44]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minu

   tes.html#action01]
   [DONE] ACTION: Remove PAUL WALK'S TOOL AND ANALYSIS from Agenda
   [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minu

   tes.html#action02]

     [43] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action03

     [44] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action01

     [45] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/12/02-lld-minutes.html#action02


   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [46]scribe.perl version 1.135
    ([47]CVS log)
    $Date: 2010/12/09 20:24:33 $

     [46] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm

     [47] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/


Received on Thursday, 9 December 2010 20:36:41 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 9 December 2010 20:36:42 GMT