W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-xg-lld@w3.org > August 2010

Meeting minutes: 2010-08-18

From: Ross Singer <ross.singer@talis.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 08:30:51 -0400
Message-ID: <AANLkTinDmPDa-Ldq=NNi4AR2Hb3PfzELo-h9ypFPKw-7@mail.gmail.com>
To: public-xg-lld@w3.org
Hello all,
The minutes for the call yesterday are available at:
http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html

Many thanks to Antoine and everybody that helped me fumble my way
through scribing.

Here is a text version of transcript:
------------------------------------------------

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                LLD XG

19 Aug 2010

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Aug/0073.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-lld-irc

Attendees

   Present
          TomB, emma, antoine, MarkVanAssem, marcia, GordonD, monica,
          edsu, bvatant, kcoyle, rsinger, Wolfgang, jon, michaelp,
          jneubert, Kai

   Regrets
          Tod, Andreas, Alexander, Kim, Ray, Oreste, Guenther

   Chair
          Tom

   Scribe
          Ross

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Admin
         2. [6]F2F Meetings
         3. [7]Use cases
         4. [8]LLD Topic List
         5. [9]NISO Institutional Identifier (I2) working group
         6. [10]Library Data resources, and Library Terminology pages
         7. [11]Reports from IFLA
         8. [12]next telecon
     * [13]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <TomB> scribe: rsinger

   <TomB> scribenick: rsinger

Admin

   Propose to accept minutes?

   RESOLUTION: To accept meeting minutes of previous telecon:
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html

F2F Meetings

   TomB:: Meeting in Pittsburgh around DC2010

   ... Looking for next actions in the LLD space

   ... What has/has not worked in the DCMI Abstract Model

   ... How to move forward constructively

   ... Sat/Sun, have a meeting room @ DC2010

   ... no registration fee

   ... wireless costs $350/day

   ... $10-15/person to provide wireless for the day

   <kcoyle> ++ pass the hat

   <edsu> +1

   <GordonD> +1

   TomB: I will send a proposal to the list

   <marcia> +1

   TomB: will convene by noon(?) on Sunday so people can catch flights
   ... discussion continues re: F2F at SWIB in Cologne

Use cases

   TomB: any comments on selections of links and the way they're
   characterized?
   ... update schedule

   TomB: who wants to take the lead on the use cases?

   kcoyle: What do we need to do?
   ... it would be great to know what goes in each part of the use case
   / many things being left blank
   ... there are very large use cases, like how we deal with legacy
   data, are those appropriate as use cases?

   emma: we need to test use case template within the group

   kcoyle: on the use case notes page, we can put an FAQ?

   antoine: we can use the discussion section of the use case template
   page

   <emma> +1

   antoine: this was kai's suggestion

   kcoyle: we should note this somewhere

   <TomB> Karen and Antoine propose to use
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Talk:Use_Case_Template

     [15] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Talk:Use_Case_Template

   kcoyle: i will add a note to the use case template to use the
   discussion section

   <GordonD> next week's telecon islast chance to discuss use cases
   before end august deadline, so +1 to use wiki between now and then -
   assuming we stick to deadline

   <antoine> kcoyle ++

   <bvatant> +1

   <GordonD> +1 for karen's suggestion

   <marcia> +1

   <antoine> ->
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Publishing_20
   th_Century_Press_Archives

     [16] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Publishing_20th_Century_Press_Archives

   <antoine> -> jneubert's use case

   emma: jneubert has added two sections to template

   <monica> emma: joachim has added some sections to his template

   <antoine> +1 for including prototype in "Existing Work" but
   explaining it in the template

   jneubert: it is not only about technology but applications or
   prototypes in template
   ... in the Existing Work section

   michaelp: go through the use cases one by one in a telecon so we can
   all contribute to filling the blanks to give input to the use case
   creators

   <TomB> +1 michaelp's suggestion

   michaelp: the target audience really depends on the use case, in
   jneubert's case it is really an application, in other cases, it's
   really a task

   <emma> +1 to comment the use cases 1 by 1

   antoine: use next teleconf to discuss the use cases
   ... wanted to mention jneubert's use case

   TomB: the schedule
   ... we are still at the gathering and development of scenarios

   <GordonD> it would be useful for me to extend schedule

   TomB: should we revise expectations?

   <kcoyle> yes

   <GordonD> +1

   <monica> +1

   <bvatant> +1

   <kcoyle> Sep 15?

   <michaelp> +1

   ACTION: Everyone to create use cases on the "use case note" page
   http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes . Not more
   than 2 persons per case. Deadline august 25. [recorded in
   [17]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04] [CONTINUES]

     [17] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action04

   antoine: kcoyle asks if the deadline can be extended until sep. 15th

   <TomB> +1 for extending deadline

   antoine: there can be contribution after the next teleconf

   <kcoyle> ok, i agree

   <bvatant> ok for this

   <GordonD> thanx for clarification from antoine

   kai: Are there more ideas for extensions to the template?

   TomB: there was general approval of jneubert's additions
   ... look at specific use cases/examples and use those examples to
   make decisions how to modify templates

   kai: i like the new sections, we'll have a deeper look and discuss
   next time

   <antoine> re. joachim's new section, for one of them (prototype)
   could be in Existing work but explicitly documented in the template
   instruction for that section

LLD Topic List

   kcoyle: the topic list hasn't been refined in a while. do we want
   further refinement? it is still very informal

   TomB: will be put on the agenda in Pittsburgh

   <antoine> +1

NISO Institutional Identifier (I2) working group

   marcia: Already submitted

   <marcia> [18]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/NISO-I2

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/NISO-I2

   marcia: recorded in wiki page

   ACTION: Marcia to send (informal) group's comment on I2 before the
   deadline for comments [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05] [DONE]

     [19] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action05

   marcia: sent note to mailing list referring to:
   [20]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/NISO-I2

     [20] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/NISO-I2

   TomB: send it to our list as well, just for the public record

   ACTION: marcia to post I2 comments to LLD list [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#action02]

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#action02

Library Data resources, and Library Terminology pages

   kcoyle: there is room for other bullet points on the library data
   resources wiki page
   ... this grew very quickly. we have begun one of the possible tasks.
   ... a vision of what the range is of library that we need to
   incorporate into our thinking of linked data
   ... came out of work I was doing with OpenLibrary - libraries have
   their own language - so we use terms that librarians understand, but
   no one else
   ... these aren't formal definitions, helps people understand what
   librarians mean
   ... encourage people on the public list to contribute
   ... started to gather together lists of vocabularies already in use
   for library linked data

Reports from IFLA

   GordonD: IFLA was productive from the LLD perspective - started
   putting some info. out on the mailing list
   ... on the FRBR stuff, hoping to be able to put something out within
   2-3 weeks
   ... also release an unbounded set of properties and see what happens
   with community uptake

   <bvatant>
   [22]http://www.slideshare.net/event/ifla-2010-world-library-and-info
   rmation-congress-76th-ifla-general-conference-and-assembly

     [22] http://www.slideshare.net/event/ifla-2010-world-library-and-information-congress-76th-ifla-general-conference-and-assembly

   GordonD: FRBR, as is, is deprecated in favor of a consolidated model
   combining FRBR and FRSAD
   ... bibliographic description different than FRBR, more similar to
   RDA
   ... specific rules about how elements should be displayed
   ... will use a DC application profile for this
   ... will feed back into DCMI and LLD
   ... hope to make a crosslinking between FRBR and ISBD
   ... much of the discussion taking place around linked data

   ACTION: Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc. for
   discussion in Sept. agenda [recorded in
   [23]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06] [CONTINUES]

     [23] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action06

   emma: A lot of general interest on semweb at IFLA
   ... important session on libraries and semweb, quite long for IFLA
   (4 hours?)
   ... on a Sunday morning!
   ... complementary to the technical work, special interest group
   within IFLA on the general interest, training, etc.

next telecon

   TomB: next conference, next week

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: marcia to post I2 comments to LLD list [recorded in
   [24]http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#action02]

     [24] http://www.w3.org/2010/08/19-lld-minutes.html#action02

   [PENDING] ACTION: Everyone to create use cases on the "use case
   note" page http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/UseCaseNotes .
   Not more than 2 persons per case. Deadline august 25. [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action04]

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action04

   [PENDING] ACTION: Gordon will prepare something on RDA, FRBR etc.
   for discussion in Sept. agenda [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action06]

     [26] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action06

   [DONE] ACTION: Marcia to send (informal) group's comment on I2
   before the deadline for comments [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minu
   tes.html#action05]

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/minutes/2010/07/29-lld-minutes.html#action05

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [28]scribe.perl version 1.135
    ([29]CVS log)
    $Date: 2010/08/20 07:27:16 $

     [28] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [29] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Friday, 20 August 2010 12:31:30 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 20 August 2010 12:31:31 GMT