RE: is FRBR relevant?

Quoting "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>:

>> - everything on the Web is a web thing
>
> Divide and conquer. From a Linked Data perspective, everything
> imaginable is identifiable and decipherable as either a "Web document"
> or a "Real World Object".
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#oldweb
> http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#semweb

This is a philosophical difference, and an area where I have a lot of
trouble with the Semantic Web as written today. In my world view,
there are no "real world objects" with URIs. If it's on the web, it's
on the web, and it's a web document. What I think has been confused
here is the document and the content -- content v. carrier. On the
web, the carrier is always bits. The content is (usually) about
something of interest to people. What the SEmWeb folks call a real
world object I think is what I could call "content." Libraries have
dealt with this since.... forever. No one confuses a library book
about cows with a real live ruminant. People looking for a real live
ruminant do not come to the library. We should use metadata methods
that respond to actual behaviors.

So basically, for me there are no real world objects in my metadata
universe. It's all metadata.

Meanwhile, I must say that I'm more concerned with what my metadata
conveys than the details of how the URI is constructed, since the URI
is only for a machine. I will happily use any URI construction that
best gets my users to the information they seek. What I will *not* do
is limit my user base to folks who understand these semantic web
concepts. In fact, I don't want to limit the set of potential metadata
creators to folks who understand these concepts. That would be rather
like not allowing anyone to speak a language unless they have fully
understood Wittgenstein, Chomsky, and Saussure.

kc