Re: is FRBR relevant?

On Aug 12, 2010, at 9:48 AM, Karen Coyle wrote:
> Quoting "Young,Jeff (OR)" <jyoung@oclc.org>:
>
>>> - everything on the Web is a web thing
>>
>> Divide and conquer. From a Linked Data perspective, everything
>> imaginable is identifiable and decipherable as either a "Web
>> document"
>> or a "Real World Object".
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#oldweb
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/#semweb
>

> This is a philosophical difference, and an area where I have a lot
> of trouble with the Semantic Web as written today. In my world view,
> there are no "real world objects" with URIs.

Karen, as far as I understand the work of LLD is based on the four
principles expressed in <http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/
LinkedData.html>. Fundamental in those principles is the notion of
naming things (and "things" stands for "real world objects",
"concepts", etc.) with URIs. I don't think LLD should question those
basics on which all Linked Data work is based. As a matter of fact, I
would not really know anymore what LLD is about if it would not
embrace those fundamental principles. Obviously that does not prevent
any individual from questioning those principles; but I think LLD as a
group/effort should not.

Cheers

Herbert

> [...]
> looking for a real live ruminant do not come to the library. We
> should use metadata methods that respond to actual behaviors.
>
> So basically, for me there are no real world objects in my metadata
> universe. It's all metadata.
>
> Meanwhile, I must say that I'm more concerned with what my metadata
> conveys than the details of how the URI is constructed, since the
> URI is only for a machine. I will happily use any URI construction
> that best gets my users to the information they seek. What I will
> *not* do is limit my user base to folks who understand these
> semantic web concepts. In fact, I don't want to limit the set of
> potential metadata creators to folks who understand these concepts.
> That would be rather like not allowing anyone to speak a language
> unless they have fully understood Wittgenstein, Chomsky, and Saussure.
>
> kc
>

>>> - it is not the web thing-ness that is of interest to people using
>>> the
>> web, but the meaning behind the web thing
>>> - therefore, it is best to skip the web-thing layer, and instead
>>> code
>> for the more meaningful layer
>>
>> Don't skip the web layer, use it. Return 200s for "web things" ("Web
>> documents") and use hash URIs or return 303s for non-web things.
>>
>>> For example, you code an ebook as a book in electronic form, not
>>> as a
>> series of bits. You code an mp3 as a song, not as a file.
>>>
>>> This follows library practice where the physical format (bound
>>> paper,
>> electronic file, CD) is considered secondary.
>>
>> Yes: "books" and "songs" are "real world objects" that need to be
>> modeled. "ebooks" and "mp3s" are Web document "representations" of
>> "real
>> world objects". This is a good start, but it shouldn't end there.
>>
>>> That said, it's not entirely unambiguous, there are definitely gray
>>> areas.
>>
>> Karen! Poke them harder about the gray areas. The missing concept
>> linking "real world object" and "Web document" is "representation".
>> LLD
>> XG needs to spend more time thinking and talking about and using the
>> concept of "representation".
>>
>>> But I would say that http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85148273
>>> represents an intellectual construct, an entry in the LC subject
>>> authority file which has as its meaning a particular concept. Then
>>> you
>>> can use some other designation, if you wish, to represent the LCSH
>>> record/web document. This latter is usually considered
>>> administrative
>>> information; it is highly useful, but not the purpose of the data.
>>
>> Shame on us for thinking we can guess our way out of this mess! We
>> should be grateful to LC for giving us meaningful skos:Concepts
>> (think
>> frbr:hasAsSubject) while begging them for skosxl:Labels. ;-)

==
Herbert Van de Sompel
Digital Library Research & Prototyping
Los Alamos National Laboratory, Research Library
http://public.lanl.gov/herbertv/
tel. +1 505 667 1267