Re: is FRBR relevant?

On 10-08-10 03:19, Young,Jeff (OR) wrote:
> LCSH doesn't need "fixed" exactly. The only problem is that too many
> people believe the following URI identifies "the name of the thing"
> (i.e. the literal "World War, 1939-1945") rather than "the thing" (i.e.
> the concept of WWII):
>
> http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85148273#concept
>
> Switching from skos:prefLabel to skosxl:prefLabel and coining a new URI
> for the skosxl:Label would help clarify the difference (IMO):
>
> http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85148273#heading

Maybe I'm being dense but I don't understand why this is better
than what http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85148273 gives us now.
There are a bunch of labels, a main one and some alternates. You
can search on them in whatever way you like without any
ambiguity.

#heading seems to represent "the concept of the name of the
concept". Do we really need this extra indirection?

The main problem I see is that neither what the LOC is doing
now, nor any extensions with skosxl isn't compatible with Dublin
Core.

    [ dc:subject [
        dcam:member dc:LCSH;
        rdf:value "World War, 1939-1945"]]

which appears in the wild. If i put,

    [ dc:subject <http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85148273> ]

I need to make an ugly query,

    SELECT ?x WHERE {
        {
           ?x a Work .
           ?x dc:subject ?s.
           ?s rdf:value "World War, 1939-1945"
        } UNION {
           ?x a Work.
           ?x dc:subject ?s.
           ?s skos:label "World War, 1939-1945"
        }
    }

As I've said before, this can be converted in an automated way
easily enough, but I think we (or one of the follow-on WGs)
makes a concrete recommendation that may supercede DC's
usage with respect to subjects from LCSH (and possibly
other authorities). At the very least if DC encouraged using
rdfs:label instead of rdf:value we would get (with description
logic) compatibility for free. Compatibility is obviously
not as straightforward with skosxl

Cheers,
-w

--
William Waites           <william.waites@okfn.org>
Mob: +44 789 798 9965    Open Knowledge Foundation

RDF Indexing, Clustering and Inferencing in Python
		http://ordf.org/