Re: Declarative vs. procedural

From: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:45:30 +0300
To: Charles Hemphill <charles@everspeech.com>
CC: public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org
On 10/20/2011 10:04 PM, Charles Hemphill wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I mentioned some numbers from an article that I noticed last week:
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html.  The top 2
> programming languages are known by about 17% of the programmers (each).
> JavaScript is known by about 2% of programmers.  This might be surprising
> given the billions of Web pages out there.
>
> Having a JavaScript API is fine, but keep in mind that there are many HTML
> developers who know little to no JavaScript.

what kind of speech enabled web application could be written without
Javascript? What kind of web app could done without javascript?

Sure, some static web pages can be without JS (articles and other
documents), but it is quite hard to
find any application-kind of web page which doesn't use JS.
The plain old html form based UIs are very mid-90's ;)

I'd really like to see some use case for pure declarative speech UI
handling.