Declarative vs. procedural

From: Charles Hemphill <charles@everspeech.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:04:34 -0700
To: <public-xg-htmlspeech@w3.org>
Hi Everyone,

I mentioned some numbers from an article that I noticed last week:
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html.  The top 2
programming languages are known by about 17% of the programmers (each).
JavaScript is known by about 2% of programmers.  This might be surprising
given the billions of Web pages out there.

Having a JavaScript API is fine, but keep in mind that there are many HTML
developers who know little to no JavaScript.  It's good to have a
declarative markup option for those who specialize in markup.  The
JavaScript API should then fit with and extend the declarative markup
option.   That's easier to do now than to retrofit later.

Best regards,
Charles